Feedback on my playing/phrasing/arrangement wanted

Johansolo

• Members

ive havent been writing proper songs since i stopped playing in bands and have just been mucking around writing short clip/ideas to jam over at home.

if you dont mind having a listen and giving me some feedback would be much appreciated

im thinking about getting some lessons again. its been a long whilst im finding it hard to improve, learn new stuff...as i not being in a band...i have no direction. i kinda like it but also dont know what type of music i want write...which is cool as i love all styles.

anways clips here

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=780120&content=music

the first 2 (after retubing my amp) are songs/ideas i quickly made up and recorded at the same time.

the vamps ones were more thought out.

• Moderators

Nice sound for the genre.

You're rushing. You need to lay back into the pocket. Power comes from the pocket. Those bits that sound like the drum machine's getting off? Right there. I liken heavy but in the pocket as a huge mammoth stomping into battle, crushing anything that gets in its way. But heavy and rushed? That same mammoth tripping, stumbling and rendered powerless. It's big but clumsy. So plant your feet and lay back and get BIG.

You need a strong melody as well. Without your guitar in hand, sing melodies against the track to get ideas, then work out your melodies on the guitar. The first clip has a bit of melody but it's too guitar centric. Create in your head for fresh ideas, then translate to guitar.

Sounds good.

• Members

You need a band...now...and you need to write songs with that band...now. Lol. This is some good stuff. Lee Knight's suggestions are good ones, some interesting melodic stuff in there would absolutely take these instrumentals to bigger heights. And a good howling vocalist would f***ing rock.

• Members

I'm listening to Retubenated. It's not part of the question, but there are a lot of really good guitar tones here.

Ok, on to the questions.

Playing: Skilled. Seems capable of most moderately complex hard rock techniques. Not incredibly melodic, but not tuneless shred either.

Phrasing: Doesn't really seem like the main focus, given that most of the riffs are not strictly melodic. Seems fine for the context.

Arrangement: It's a wall of crunchy guitars. :idk: I have no opinion on whether one part should have been voiced on the 7 string and the other on the PRS - I usually think of arrangement in a different context.

Honestly though, the guys over at the recordingreview forum would probably give you some much more in depth feedback - they pretty much specialize in distorted guitar instrumentals over there.

http://forum.recordingreview.com/f11/

• Members

thanks for your honest comments guys. i feel like im in a stage of limbo. i have played in bands for over 10 years but have been without a band for about 2 years now. i really dont have the urge to get back in and play in front of people for the meantime as im having fun writing my own stuff.

i feel like i know what i want my lead playing to sound like and how it is to be arranged, but im not quite there with pulling it off...guess thats where i need more practice is.

and RE the comment about rushing...i find it really frustrating to record the lead parts as most of the time im making it up for the first time. i guess i should really practice it before recording

thanks again all for listening.

• Members

i find it really frustrating to record the lead parts as most of the time im making it up for the first time. i guess i should really practice it before recording

Actually, some of my most satisfying moments are when something unrehearsed falls right into the pocket......including an occasional verse that gets tracked as an ad lib but makes the final mix.

The trick is to let the rest of the song take you along while you're tracking something unplanned.

Archived