Blackstar HT-5 takes forever to warm up?

MILO

• Members

I tried a Blackstar HT-5 combo yesterday in a local guitar shop. The guy plugged it in, left it on standby for about a minute, flipped the standby switch, NOTHING. Then the other guy shouts over "just be patient, they take about 10 minutes to warm up"!

And surely over the next 10 minutes the amp starts to come to life, first spluttering, then finally roaring away. Well as roaring as 5 watts gets.

It had some nice tones, lots of variation. I'd like to try the head through a 4x12. Anyway, has anyone else experienced this? It seems like a pretty bad design flaw. Apparently they got about 5 in stock and they're all the same.

I'm a massive blackstar fan, i've got an Artisan 100 head and 4x12 and it smokes any plexi i've ever tried and the cab is top notch as well.

Pete

• Members

Mine does too, especially after a couple days w/o use. When I first got it I thought, oh well dead preamp tube so I threw a different one in. Still nothing. I was finally going to give up and then I started hearing a little crappy, farty sound and it gradually filled into a nice full tone. Glad to hear that from someone else. Man, I sure do like its tones!

• Members

Yes, I bought the HT5 head last week and it has the same issue as did the one I tried on the shop floor, although the delay is more like a minute or two for mine rather than 10.

I play in a bar band and I gigged with mine on Friday night through a 2 x 12 Marshall cab. I play rock covers with a Les Paul Standard and the HT5 sound when its was cranked (as high as a 5 watter can be) absolutely blew me away.

As MILO states it has a wide range of sounds and I highly recommend it to everyone. The best

• Members

Yes, I bought the HT5 head last week and it has the same issue as did the one I tried on the shop floor, although the delay is more like a minute or two for mine rather than 10.

I play in a bar band and I gigged with mine on Friday night through a 2 x 12 Marshall cab. I play rock covers with a Les Paul Standard and the HT5 sound when its was cranked (as high as a 5 watter can be) absolutely blew me away.

As MILO states it has a wide range of sounds and I highly recommend it to everyone. The best

• 11 years later...
  • Members

Hi everyone, i had a buisiness called AXAMP REPAIRS, im now retired but still fix Amps and every thing else(didnt really retire). Anyway the HT5 problem with the 10 minute warm up is a simple fix(thats if someone else hasnt already found it). R93 in the PA mute circuit is supposed to be 9.5kohm and they(Blackstar manufacturing) have put a 1Kohm resistor in.Just put a 10Kohm resistor in there and bingo instant guitar heaven. I had one in for repair and after i scratched a bit more hair out of my head i found the problem. Cheers Pete.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Hi there i had another one this week and by doing what i have described problem solved. Just by the way this amp puts out (all HT5) 3.5 watts RMS not 5 as Blackstar quote. Just go to any valve data book and you will find that 3.5wRMS is the absolute maximum plate dissipation.

Archived