?noob help?

zildjian@consol

• Members

I think I've replied to a few theads here , am a drummer/hobby, guitar painter by trade.Been playing 5 years and 5 years in same band.The guitar player writes almost all of the music-75%,I try to write the lyrics.I have pages and pages of cheesy , sub-par songs and a few gems. How can I progress to better writing skills?Our songs are usually guitar driving blues/rock/funk with some other styles thrown at it for accents.The guitar player and I are in our late 40's . the bass player and singer are in there mid 20's---I know ,what an odd group, but it works. thanks in advance

• Members

Give up. The die is cast. Old dogs can't learn new tricks...

:D

Of course... I'm jiving. I'm an even older dog myself and it seems like every time I turn around, I have to learn a new trick just to try to earn a bone.

The way to get better at writing is just like with playing an instrument: woodshed.

That means writing a lot. It's not all going to be good (as we all know)... but the more you work, the more you learn.

Where this forum can be helpful is in providing a somewhat sheltered venue to make your work available for feedback, constructive criticism, and discussion with (somewhat ;) ) like-minded writers of varying levels of expertise, from absolute newb to seasoned, working pro.

Like anything else, what you get out will depend in large part what you put in. Giving feedback and thoughtful criticism on music takes some time and effort and folks will be more inclined to help out other forum members they recognize as having helped others.

Before I became involved in this forum (they were crazy enough to make me moderator but I see that role as mostly just keeping the shoe/phone spam out), I was going through a real dry spell.

But even when I was barely writing, myself, getting involved in discussing songwriting and giving crit/feedback to others seemed to get my gears turning again. I'm not one to tinker too much with my songs once they're written, but I've received some great suggestions (and implemented more than a few) and -- probably more importantly -- been provoked to think about and push my songwriting, and that has been tremendously helpful.

• Members

Thanks, I'll be hanging around when i can, life gets in the way sometimes.

A good idea to drop your lyrics here (or recordings) and see what others would do to improve them. You can take some of that advice and use it to improve existing or future songs....Very helpful forumites here from what I can see....

• Members

A good idea to drop your lyrics here (or recordings) and see what others would do to improve them. You can take some of that advice and use it to improve existing or future songs....Very helpful forumites here from what I can see....

Thanks for your thoughts, wrote three yesterday , don't like any of them, c ya

Archived