In Search Of Powered Subs - Seeking Assistance

DJ Gonzo

• Members

Hello, my name is Mark and I'm a DJ/VJ/MC and have been at it part-time since the late 80s. I'm a new member of the site and have found some great topics that I've learned from over the past couple of days.

I'd like to see if I can get some input on my search for powered subwoofers.

Let me make it clear...I am no sound engineer and have never really studied up well on speakers. I've usually just gone off of what sounds good when I'm searching. Have the salesman allow me a few minutes with each speaker listening....and that's it. I'd like to be a bit wiser this go round in hearing from others out there who are more knowledgeable, than I am in this department (won't be hard). ;)

I have a pair of Cerwin Vega JE-36 18" Folded Subs (passive), but I'd like to ease up the pain on my back of loading and unloading these 143 lbs. cabinets when I need to bring them out. When I do bring out these subs, I also load in and out my Cerwin Vega V-152s and V-153s.

I also own a B-52 V1000V2 system, and like to use it for smaller outdoor events.

Now, I'm working on building up a powered system with my Yamaha MSR400 Speakers. I have considered the Yamaha sub to compliment these tops, but I've also been looking at the following:

- Yorkville LS720P

Price: $690 Each (Delivered)

Watts: 720 (Program)

SPL: 128 db

Weight: 74.5 lbs.

Hz: 40-150 (Adjustable)

- QSC KSub

Price: $919 Each (Delivered)

Watts: 1000 (Program)

SPL: 130 db

Weight: 74 lbs.

Hz: 44-148

I like the above speakers for the weight and warranty. SPL ratings are pretty close. The 720s should be able to handle 360 watts continous, but the QSCs should come in around 500 watts continuous.

Another reason I am looking at these two speakers is due to my budget. I really want to stay under $2k for a pair. I have priced out both speakers and I can keep them under $2k. I like that I can pick up a pair of the Yorkville speakers for just under $1,400.00 and still have some spending cash towards more lights, etc.

I know there are many more brands out there...and this is where I'm looking for assistance.

I don't want to totally discount heavier subs though. Currently I am loading and unloading from my pickup truck with a camper shell however, in the next 6-months I do plan on purchasing a van for easier loads.

If there are other subs that you may recommend my looking more in to, then please let me know.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived