hey guys,

Boydog

• Members

how about some feedback on some of my stuff ?

Been working on these for a long time and not many folks have heard em, Would like to hear what someone from outside my small circle has to say..All the songs except for "Down" which I'm collaborating with a friend and only playing the lead were done entirely by me so any feedback will taken as lesson learned .

Thanks

• Members

Welcome to the Songwriting Forum.

The basic mission of the forum is the discussion of the art and craft of songwriting and offering assistance with feedback and constructive criticism on new songs and other works in progress. Of course, giving thoughtful comment requires some time and energy.

Like so much in life -- what you get out of it will likely depend on what you put in...

I hope you'll share your insight with others when they're looking for critiques -- it's a great way to let people get to know you. And the more that people know you as someone who is willing to help out, the more eager they'll be to help you when you're looking for some good ol' constructive crit.

[i'm the forum mod. If you have any troubles, drop me a personal message by clicking on my avatar link.]

I listened to "Going Down Slow." Once it gets going it has a nice, if somewhat rough, David Gilmour vibe, nicely emotive, a bit haunting. Some of the timing of the backup gets pretty ragged, rhythmically, in spots. And there are a few rough spots in the guitar, too, but overall I liked it (the lead), which was good since it has to carry the whole song. Also, better check the intro -- there's almost 20 seconds of dead air on the version up on your Soundclick page.

I hope to get a chance to hear more later! Again, welcome!

:)

• Members

I only listened to 1 song... to many to listen, to all of them...

So I listened to... Don't go...nice work...a little slow with no vocals...with a singer I'm pretty sure it would pick up the feeling you were going for...good guitar work but was a little redundant without a vocal...if you don't sing yourself find a Phil Collins or Steve Perry and you got a hit...good job!!

• Members

I only listened to 1 song... to many to listen, to all of them...

So I listened to...
Don't go
...nice work...a little slow with no vocals...with a singer I'm pretty sure it would pick up the feeling you were going for...good guitar work but was a little redundant without a vocal...if you don't sing yourself find a Phil Collins or Steve Perry and you got a hit...good job!!

thanks, This one was actually a spur of the moment thing, recorded it in about 30-45 minutes.

I do try and sing just have to really pick em carefully and if you listen to many of em you can see I haven't picked em very well which is why I've gone to doing instrumentals.

thanks again.

• Members

Rock and pop instrumentals are a real challenge, it seems to me. When you've got a whole band (or are a really talented multi-instrumentalist), you can keep things flowing and changing up a lot easier than when you are primarily a guitarist or keyboardist. Many of us can play a little of another instrument but sometimes it can be a real challenge to bring a cooking/involving new part in on an instrument we only have passing competency on.

I've listened to a lot of rock instrumentals from guitarists over the decade or so of the online-micro-indie music scene and while some of them really grab you, there is a real danger of, on one hand, getting in groove and not getting out, and ending up with something where there's nothing wrong with a track, it's enjoyable, well-played, but, ultimately just a reasonably pleasant way to spend 3 or 4 minutes, but not necessarily anything memorable, or, on the other, of putting so many changes and tricks and would-be hooks in that it becomes a bit of a post-modern jumble, a bag of tricks looking for a consistent mood. Instrumentals are tricky and a half.

Anyhow, in this forum, you don't have to be a great (or even good) singer in order to ask for input on your songs. There is an extraordinary range of expertise here and there's really room for everyone because, at the bottom line, we're all here because we want to improve and help others improve. So, if you come up with some vocals, don't be afraid. (You can always innoculate us with the warning that the vocals may be on the rough side, particularly if it's not really your goal in life to be a singer. ;) )

Anyhow, like I said, I really enjoyed the mood of your guitar playing in the track I heard, it had a nice, melancholy, dreaminess. ;)

• Members

thanks Blue,

Right now I'm working and living away from home and have more or less ( mostly less ) set up my apartment as a get by studio with the bare necessaties (sp) for recording which does not include a vocal processor.

Not all the songs on my site are instrumentals, I just don't have much of a voice to start with and have been experimenting going vocal-less.

BTW, Which song did you listen to ?

and thanks again, I came to the realization a long time ago playing in bands that you can't please everyone so I try and play whatever's in my head that I can get on tape ( so to speak ) I really am curious as to what others think be it good or bad. So I therefore humbly put myself on the block.

Archived