I suck and have no talent *SIGH*

grace_slick

• Members

I am trying to create songs, and I just suck totally.

It's so sad. I love music, and I have a heap of fun (most of the time, not right now) making my music, but...at the same time there's this huge part of me that feels like crying because no matter what, I can't get out what I really hear in my head...sometimes I don't even know what I hear in my head anyway...

Does anyone else feel this way? Like, why are we wasting our time? Sometimes I worry about that.

I also don't want to take myself too seriously cause then it's even more embarrassing when my true crapness is revealed to the world.

Before I heard this song by Silverchair, called Ana's Song (Open Fire), and believe it or not I'd never heard the verse before, and I was obsessed with how it made me feel. So scared, weird, etc...just the verse. The chorus I find boring. So I wanted to make a new song that felt similar. Not necessarily the same chords, but similar...and as soon as I started doing my own thing, it changed completely and sucked.

Why bother? *depressed* :facepalm:

• Members

It's so sad. I love music, and I have a heap of fun (most of the time, not right now) making my music, but...at the same time there's this huge part of me that feels like crying because no matter what, I can't get out what I really hear in my head...sometimes I don't even know what I hear in my head anyway...

Does anyone else feel this way? Like, why are we wasting our time? Sometimes I worry about that.

I also don't want to take myself too seriously cause then it's even more embarrassing when my true crapness is revealed to the world.

Before I heard this song by Silverchair, called Ana's Song (Open Fire), and believe it or not I'd never heard the verse before, and I was obsessed with how it made me feel. So scared, weird, etc...just the verse. The chorus I find boring. So I wanted to make a new song that felt similar. Not necessarily the same chords, but similar...and as soon as I started doing my own thing, it changed completely and sucked.

Why bother? *depressed*
:facepalm:

Its about creating...the end result is what it is...but the part you live for is the creative spark that needs igniting...doesn't matter what you or anyone else thinks...your creating something from nothing...thats all you need...:)

• Members

You could try some basic songwriting practice techniques or perhaps some kind of a collaboration if you feel that you are lacking in a certain area. You would probably learn a lot in the process. I have felt talentless since I started singing and playing guitar but I'm still driven to create.

• Members

I really much prefer the company of people who try hard to create good work and are unsatisfied with their results and so keep trying to people who don't try much and are very self-satisfied with whatever...

That music has such an emotional impact on you is the key. I know something about that myself. Music makes me cry sometimes. Other times music makes me want to get up and dance and jump around and bang a guitar.

Maybe the purpose of your work is not to make you happy but to convey how you actually feel, whether it be sad, frustrated, angry or happy.

Maybe you could write an excellent frustrated pissed-off song right about now.

Also: I suspect the answer to "why bother" is that you care very much .

I mean, what else you gonna do? :)

• Members

A lot of what we think of as inspired is really the result of hard work and years of experience. Peoples brains work dfferantly, and you have to find out how to get yours on a productive track. Some people write music, then words. Some people write words, then music. Some people just write concepts, hooks, unrelated verse out of their heads and somehow cobble them together and polish them. Write, write a lot. If you get stuck, put it down for a while. Don't throw anything out. You may have written the perfect bridge for a song you won't write for another ten years. The point is to express yourself. Don't worry too much about form until you have the concept down. Just keep doing it. It's good for the soul.

• Members

Before I started writing songs, I always imagined myself only writing "cool" songs like my idols. I had grand dreams of odd time signatures, 10 minute minimoog solos, and deep lyrics steeped in allegory and metaphor. After writing somewhere around 50 songs and having bits and pieces for another 50, I've come to realize that I actually write 4 minute pop songs that are very easy to understand, only use 4-5 chords, and mostly deal with some aspect of love, life, or what I'm going thru at the time. I've come to accept that I don't write Jethro Tull songs or 1976 Genesis songs.

What really gets me off is the creative process: Getting a spark of inspiration, having it nag at me for 3-4 days straight, and obsessively think about it and mold and shape the lyrics, melody, and chords and try to find the diamond in the little pebble of an idea that appeared unexpected out of nowhere. Ideas just hit at unexpected times and you're compelled with a fire to turn it into something. It's like not having a choice about it. It just needs to come out. Lots of times, you can follow the process and what comes out as the finished product sucks. But the process; the getting lost in a world of inspiration (almost like a dream state) is the big reward for me. The finished song is just that. A finished song. I'm always happy when the recording goes well and the song stands up. But inspiration is that mystical catalyst that gets the ball rolling and without it, nothing. I suppose what I'm saying is that the process is the reward. To take a line from a song I'm recording now for my wife for Xmas, it's not about the destination, but the journey.

Some songs are better than others. The only way to judge them is to actually write them. You can always change them or discard them. But first and foremost, write them.

• Members

Your example of not being able to capture the magic you felt when listening to someone else's song, even though you tried to copy it, suggests maybe you're looking for the magic in the wrong places... In fact, I suspect the magic is not in any one thing but in a matrix of things -- which includes your receptive apparatus.

Ask any seeker: chasing magic is hard.

But if you can find the things that help create the matrix, the mix of elements, that allows that magic to happen, you may do better. A lot of it is likely to be things we talk about here in the SW forum: metaphor, imagery, storytelling, wordplay like rhyming, alliteration, allusions, puns, and, of course, the emotional content that the writer has tried to build into the song.

This last can be an interesting one. To my way of thinking, communication between humans is a quixotic endeavor -- we stand on our separate hilltops, waving semaphores, sending smoke signals, pantomiming, maybe -- but never really sure of having communicated.

And a song is among the most quixotic of communications... a little dance of symbols and gestures, hints and clues, a puzzle we put out and ask the listener to make something of. If the pieces of the puzzle are too new, the edges too raw and unpolished, the challenge may be so great that the listener puts it to the side for a while; if the pieces of the puzzle are worn and old, it may go too easily, flopping into place on its own but producing little sense of discovery and satisfaction.

[And if a metaphor is too overworked it may lead you down a rhetorical dead end... ;) ]

Anyhow, with regard to sucking... we all sucked when we started and most of us suck a lot of the time. I know I do.

Since sucking a certain percentage of the time (we can improve those percentages perhaps but there's always going to be some dross) is almost a given, it would seem to follow that one way to proceed is simply to turn out as much writing as one can.

Practice may not make perfect very often, but it usually helps hone our skills and give us the experience that makes our next efforts just a little easier.

When what you writes sucks, the strategy -- from my viewpoint -- is, perhaps paradoxically, to write more...

:)

• Members

Don't fear the suck!!

I have found great comfort in the fact I suck. It takes the pressure off and allows me to just 'be me' in my song writing. And thats all you can do.. be you.. and write songs..

Sounds to me like maybe you are comparing your works to other peoples, when in real life YOU are your only competition. And how friendly of a competitor you are with yourself is up to you.

Soooo tell yourself to quit beating you up, and then just get back to writing songs because you LIKE to.

Tiss better to of sucked and lost, than to have never of sucked at all..!

Peace!

• Moderators

The 2 last posts are very good. Blue and Maxwell's.

As I read the OP's post, I had a couple of thoughts. The first regarding the disappointment at not capturing that feeling from the Silverchair song. The key for me here, is to stop and step back. Forget the Silverchair song now, and look at your creation that was inspired by another song. See, because something's inspired by another work don't mean it will turn out like it... in fact, having it not turn out like it is something plagiarists work very hard at. So really, that's a positive. Judge it on its own merit. Which brings us to the second point...

Maybe you're right. Maybe you do suck. That's fine. Did you think this was going to be easy? It's not. But you will suck less and less with more and more work. So here, the key is to turn that work into fun. Don't sweat the suck, but be aware of it and fix it. Just saying, "It sucks" or "I suck" isn't enough. As a matter of fact, it's moving in the wrong direction. You want to be able to identify what sucks. Break down the suck.

My chords are too samey samey.

There's a fix for that.

My melody is bland.

There's a fix for that.

My lyrics feel naive.

There's a fix for that.

My lyrics sound awkward.

There's a fix for that.

Take apart your work. But not until you let yourself create it. As Maxwell points out, don't fear the suck. But don't leave it either.

Create, evaluate, fix the suck. In that order.

• Members

We have all felt this way.

But we all keep at it because we love to do it.

Without knowing your music or your circumstances, I cannot make specific suggestions. But it doesn't sound like you are anywhere all of us haven't been.

Just relax.

www.myspace.com/thereignoffire

The song "Apophis" was in a concept stage for a long time, and nothing seemed "right". Finally, it started coming together, eventually becoming the song on the site above. I am finally satisfied that it is representing what it was in my head. But it took many wrong turns before it got there.

There is no rush. Relax. Enjoy. It'll be fine.

As for "no talent", I suspect that is not true. But even if it were, have you HEARD some of the awful things that become hits??? Talent is apparently not the major factor!

Why bother? *depressed*

• Members

I suppose.

I just wish my creations made me happy instead of leaving me feeling empty and frustrated.

I know how you feel, but with time I've gotten better and will continue to do so. I have grown to accept my limitations and just.... write!! Hopefully you'll go through something similar.

• Members

Why bother? *depressed*

Well if all of that is true then you should sell your gear and never attempt to write a song again because theres already waaaaaaay too much crap out there! Why add to it? Right?

Seriously, you need to ask yourself, "Why do I make music?" I think most of us got into music because it made us feel more alive. Somewhere along the way we "get caught up in the act" like everyone else. We fall victim to the "I have to look/sound/act a certain way" mentality. The truth is no one is like you. No one has the same experiences as you. No one sees the world exactly like you so write from that perspective. Stop comparing yourself to others as well and just write whats on your mind.

The world doesn`t need another Nickelback but I`m sure they would like to hear one grace_slick. With a name like that, I may change it to slick grace but thats just me. Peace

• Members

Most of what I write sux, too. But once in a while, some spark causes something worthwhile to come out. I guess it's kinda like getting hit by lightning - dunno.

Anyhow, I hope that'll happen to you and you'll be happy about something you wrote. Hang in there.

• Members

The secret to Everything is a trick.

there's a trick involved about roller skateing and not dumpin on your back side.

same way about math. see, math is pure. that's the trick.

I like math now. Hated it til I larnt the trick. now it's a beauty.

same way with fixin' a car or tyein' your shoes.

if you know the trick you can do the deed.

knowing how to write soul-satisfying songs is as simple as knowing the trick involved. actually many tricks.

tricks of the trade as it were.

you know a few tricks and put em' all together and whammo blammo you got yourself a tune!

tricks like: alliteration and simple rhymeing schemes, near rhymes and story telling.

learning how songs are put together is a trick.

All songs have a beginning a middle and an end.

Some Songs are built like this

V(verse)

V

C(chorus)

V

C

some songs like this

V

C

V

C

and it goes on like that sometimes there are TWO choruses. and a bridge where key changes and the like goes on.

songs are simple dittys that tell a short story or convey a feeling. keep em short and to the point.

learn ten songs and write the lyrics out long hand for all ten. study the VERSE/ CHORUS structure for all ten , look for patterns in the V/C method.

Another trick is to learn to say a lot with a little.

You only have a few lines to say what you wish, to convey your message. so one must be able to introduce characters and live lives in a few dozen words.

Learning how to create HAIKUS will show you how to say a lot with a little. and to appreciate syllable count and why that's important to know the trick of that.

I like the 3/1/3 haikus. Study them and you'll see why.

after learning ten songs learn ten more; again, writeing all the lyrics out LONGHAND in pencil.

another trick. you'll feel the words flowing under your hand and from your pencil(eraser) and will be able to capture that feeling again. you'll know what it feels like.

I use my paper and pencil, then I'll type em out on the olde compy.

you'll begin to see patterns of verse and rhyme emerge from the lyrics.

you'll get ideas of arrangements and chord usage from all the songs you've learned. another trick.

I study delta blues, learning song after song and playing them for days and weeks until i can AUTHENTICLY REPRODUCE an original delta blues tune.

I take all the elements of what makes DB what it is and use chords and timeing and tuneings and the call and response way of lyric writeing to authenticly reproduce an original work in that style.

Same with any given genre.

just study those songs and songwriters and then listen to who gave them their licks and chord progressions. who they grew up listenin to.

then useing some of those KNOWN STRUCTURES and SCHEMES you are able to build or CRAFT a song from everything you've learned.

Keep learning songs from different genres and styles and you'll always have a new idea and your well of ideas will never run dry.

That's what i do: just learn as many tricks of the trade(craft) as i can.

thanks for lettin' me share

TD

• Members

Sincere apologies for this morbidly obese reply!

Buddy...just relax...you are upside down with all this...Start taking music lessons...either piano or guitar...find a teacher you like on a personal level and start to absorb the basics ...in a short time you will know plenty of chords are how they sound...this is from someone that didn't/doesn't know from anything related to theory but little by little I am picking up stuff...heck...all I have is time...so do you...

• Members

I just wish my creations made me happy instead of leaving me feeling empty and frustrated.

i find i only feel this way when i am at odds with reality

the reality is that i am not a world-class singer/songrwriter or even close... the reality is that i don't sing very well. the reality is that i don't write all that great either.

accepting those realities, i can move on to appreciate my songs for what they are ... or try to ... it is hard to do ... but it can be done

for who i am, i can enjoy my songs for what they are. as soon as i start wishing i sounded like Isaac Brock or wrote like Cat Powers ... then ... my songs suck, of course ...

i just try to do the best i can with what i have and try to enjoy the end result for what it is. the option is to stop doing it because i'm not "good enough"

and i AM getting better, which is something

not sure if this make sense

• Members

From what I can tell from CDs that are popular enough to be pirated, you actually only have to not suck on 1 or 2 songs per album. I'm just sayin'

I'll also suggest that you listen to many of the previous posters, I don't give good advice but I can recognize it :)

• Members

From what I can tell from CDs that are popular enough to be pirated, you actually only have to not suck on 1 or 2 songs per album. I'm just sayin'

I'll also suggest that you listen to many of the previous posters, I don't give good advice but I can recognize it
:)

At last...a glimmer of hope for me!

Archived