Short Lyrics

Loxley

• Members

Hey guys,

My first time posting on this forum.. I'm in a experimental/robot rock/psychedelic rock band right now, and I'm having trouble writing a song. I normally am okay at finding things to sing about, but this is particularly challenging.

The song is in 15/4 for part of it, then I just go into a 4/4 danceable beat, and the cycle continues on, but the 4/4 part hasn't been written yet (I know it would be easier if it was, but I'm thinking about making this kind of revolve around the verse I make). What I'm planning on doing is just playing one single dissonant chord for every bit that I'm using my voice, like the guitar is following my voice. Anyway.. due to the nature of this quick, robotic, punctual and repetitive song, I want some really simple lyrics (think White Light by Gorillaz). The problem is, I didn't think this would ever be so hard, but writing less is more difficult for me. I just want it to be something really catchy but extremely simplistic and minimalist. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to write a song like this? I can't even figure out what to make it about or where to start. Help!

• Members

I would just keep playing it and listen to whatever my brain conjurs up, then start writing it when when I start liking what I'm hearing.

If I have to walk away from the music or guitar I'm writing with I might write something down while it's still in the nonsense/I don't like it phase so I have a verbal template to work from, then throw stuff at the template until something sticks that I care for.

Hi and welcome to here. :wave:

• Members

If I think of anything, whether it's a full verse, a single line, a title, a catchy phrase, a made-up word, I write it down and pop it in my "random" file.

When a situation arises like the one you're facing, I just dip into that file and see what fits the project.

If you don't have such a file, you'll need to steal from other people. Go to a retaurant and write down everything you hear. Eavesdrop on the neighbors. Watch a talk show. You'll find something.

• Members

You're just choking, man. Chill out and keep spitting ideas till you find one that works. It's that simple. There are no shortcuts, really. Asking how to write a good lyric is like asking how to get a girl in to bed. Everyone's got a theory, but really, it's a damn mystery. But the rule of thumb is to be sincere, right? Or damn clever and smooth. Don't be desperate. Alcohol helps. Your chances improve if you lower the bar a bit. You'll probably strike out if you hit on the prettiest girl in the room, even if, hell, it's worth a shot. But remember this: you'll eventually get lucky if you keep on tryin.

• Members

Have you HEARD what's been on the radio the last 30 years! Who cares what it's about!

Seriously. My lead guitarist played a clean piece he invented, on the fly. I say, "what's it called". He looks up a second, shrugs his shoulders, and says "mud".

Ok cool guy.

So I wrote lyrics based on that for it. That song is called "Mud".

Remarkably, we seem to have a humble following for this song that reappears and comments every time we post it somewhere.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=846648

Here it is for reference.

Relax, you'll do fine!

Archived