How to run amp's distortion through effects?

shadowshocker

• Members

I'm pretty new to amp distortion, before I've just gotten my tone from effects pedals. But I'm just trying to plan ahead of what kind of effects I want, and now I'm thinking I'd like to get my distortion from the amp itself. Assuming the amp doesn't have a effects loop out/in (which I'd prefer not to use anyway if there was one), how do I run the amp distortion to all my effects that I want to come after? For example, reverb and delay. I wouldn't mind getting a second amp or something, I just don't know exactly how I'd set it up. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

• Members

Why would you avoid an effects loop? It's the only real option -- preamp>effect loop>poweramp.

Using a second amp would be excessive, and you'd still pull the first amp's signal right after the preamp exactly where an effects loop is (usually using an Effects Loop Out).

If you want to use effects on power amp output, then you'll have to record the amp and apply your effects to the recording, like they would do in a real studio.

• Members

I guess I'm sorta just judging the effects loop based on my old amp. I had a Peavey Valveking 112, and everytime I used the fx loop I got a horrible sound and it was very muddy sounding. I guess it was just the amp though, I guess with a better amp I'd have no problems with the fx loop then.

• Members

The effects loop on your old amp was probably broken if thats the case. Or you're doing something wrong.

Use the fx-loop. there is no substitute. (well, you can re-amp with another amp, but that's stupid when you have a fx-loop present)

• Members

I guess I'm sorta just judging the effects loop based on my old amp. I had a Peavey Valveking 112, and everytime I used the fx loop I got a horrible sound and it was very muddy sounding. I guess it was just the amp though, I guess with a better amp I'd have no problems with the fx loop then.

sounds like you're trying to run pedals through an effects loop that is meant for line-level devices.

Do yourself a favor, before you buy a new amp, READ the specs and the owner's manual (download a pdf of it if possible) and make sure you UNDERSTAND all the features. If you don't, ASK questions BEFORE you buy the damn thing.

This is a classic case of user error.

• Members

sounds like you're trying to run pedals through an effects loop that is meant for line-level devices.

Do yourself a favor, before you buy a new amp, READ the specs and the owner's manual (download a pdf of it if possible) and make sure you UNDERSTAND all the features. If you don't, ASK questions BEFORE you buy the damn thing.

+1 to this.

If you use pedals, just make sure that the amps loop can take pedals. If not, look elsewhere or check with the manufacturer if there are any mods that you can do to the loop that'll help.

A little research and asking goes a very long way :thu:

• Members

I'm pretty new to amp distortion, before I've just gotten my tone from effects pedals. But I'm just trying to plan ahead of what kind of effects I want, and now I'm thinking I'd like to get my distortion from the amp itself. Assuming the amp doesn't have a effects loop out/in (which I'd prefer not to use anyway if there was one), how do I run the amp distortion to all my effects that I want to come after? For example, reverb and delay. I wouldn't mind getting a second amp or something, I just don't know exactly how I'd set it up. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Well, if you want to run your effects POST-distortion (ie after the preamp), you can do it in a few ways.

a) Use an amp with an effects loop. Plug in your effects into that effects loop

b) Use an amp & an external poweramp.

Run the load (speaker) output of your amp into an attenuator, such as a THD Hotplate, or something called a line level mixer that has a load input. Connect the Line Out from the attenuator/line level mixer, to your effects.

Connect the output of your effects to a stereo poweramp & speakers.

c) Use an amp, an external poweramp, your speaker cab, another speaker cab, a microphone, and a microphone preamp.

Connect the amp to your speaker in the normal fashion. Mic up the speaker, and plug the microphone to the mic preamp. Plug that into your effects. Plug the effects output to the external poweramp, and other speaker.

It's a complicated process, and can be troublesome in live situations- ask Mike Landau.

• Members

Thanks for your kind pretentious thoughts :rolleyes:

• Members
I would've figured that out if that was the problem, don't assume I'm an arrogant jackass. I don't buy equipment that I don't know how to use.

I don't know the Valveking, but it's not a stretch to think a cheaper amp might not have the greatest loop on the planet. Hell, the Mesa Recto loop still blows and it's not exactly cheap gear. :lol: It could be a crap tube for the loop driver (if it's a tube loop; see the first statement), etc. so I'm not going to give you {censored} for it.

Anyway, yeah, just use the loop unless you want to build a more complicated wet/dry setup with a poweramp and additional cab. How much it'll affect the tone depends entirely on the amp itself- some have pristine loops, some loops are a bear and don't play nice with some (or any) gear- and what you're running through it. "Tone suck" varies from device to device, but being a pedals-out-front sorta guy, I'm sure you're familiar with that phenomenon. :thu:

Archived