I wrote and recorded a song for my wife for Xmas

tspit74

• Members

Basically, it's about having two kids and yearning for the the days of just getting away alone with her in our Triumph Spitfire. It's been almost 4 years since the saga of children began and it hasn't happened yet!

The first verse is about our daughter, while the second verse addresses our son.

The song came to me after I discovered playing an open D chord and fretting the low G with my thumb. The rest just tumbled out. Funny how one new (for me) little chord can set the muse in motion...

Let me know what you think. It's called, "Drive."

Thanks!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=841739&songID=7191231

• Members

Here's the lyrics:

"DRIVE"

What a year

So much has happened

These days are etched in the lines on my face

We made it through

And 'though it wasn't easy

I wouldn't change a thing along the way

But there's a car outside

A little ragtop we used to ride

When the open road made us feel alive

Why don't we go out for a Drive...

Away from here

It doesn't matter where

I don't care if we never even get there

It's not about the destination, but the journey

So, be my guide

And side by side

We'll drive, baby, drive

What a life

It keeps getting better

We had another little one by God's good grace.

But each new day

Rushes by in a moment

And sometimes I wish that I could slow the pace

Well, there's that car outside

And just a turn of the key could make it come alive

The skies are clear and your mother's here

Why don't we sneak out for a Drive...

Away from here

It doesn't matter where

I don't care if we never even get there

It's not about the destination, but the journey

So, be my guide

And side by side

We'll drive, baby, drive

• Members

Some iterations of the harmonized word 'drive' sound awry to me - like you've selected a note outside of the chord or one (or more) of your backing vocals is pitchy. It's most noticeable at the first occurrence of the word (44 seconds in)...some of the other "drive"'s are less problematic. My inclination would be to trim the chord your voices are forming to something simpler. Maybe someone with better ears can better interpret what I'm hearing...

I think it's a very charming slice of life kinda pop tune. Nice work.

• Members

Some iterations of the harmonized word 'drive' sound awry to me - like you've selected a note outside of the chord or one (or more) of your backing vocals is pitchy. It's most noticeable at the first occurrence of the word (44 seconds in)...some of the other "drive"'s are less problematic. My inclination would be to trim the chord your voices are forming to something simpler. Maybe someone with better ears can better interpret what I'm hearing...

I think it's a very charming slice of life kinda pop tune. Nice work.

I'm hearing the same thing. Although, the arrangement is fine; I wouldn't change a thing about it. It's the execution that needs a little polishing.

When you're stacking that many voices on top of each other, it's kinda like building a tower. One or two pitchy harmonies, and it kinda throws the whole thing off. You have to make sure every single part is in tune. It can be time consuming if you're doing it all yourself, but that attention to detail is definitely worth it in the end.

The other thing that bugged me a little was that the tempo kinda flopped around; the instruments sounded a little out of sync with each other at times. You might want to work on tightening up the feel.

Beyond that, this is excellent work. The music is great, and the lyrics fit the mood of the song. You definitely have the '70s soft-rock vibe down. Great job, man--you obviously know what you're doing. I don't think there's much more to say. Let us know when the CD comes out. :)

• Members

Basically, it's about having two kids and yearning for the the days of just getting away alone with her in our Triumph Spitfire. It's been almost 4 years since the saga of children began and it hasn't happened yet!

The first verse is about our daughter, while the second verse addresses our son.

The song came to me after I discovered playing an open D chord and fretting the low G with my thumb. The rest just tumbled out. Funny how one new (for me) little chord can set the muse in motion...

Let me know what you think. It's called, "Drive."

Thanks!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=841739&songID=7191231

A really nicely written song, for sure! I can totally see this young couple in my mind's eye.

Maybe because my ol' man had a '57 MG-A, the first one in SoCal, but he had to sell it after a couple years to buy a 'serious business' car... which he never went anywhere in 'cause it was no fun. But when my dad had that MG-A, he and my pretty young mom were doing road rallies in Mexico and going to night clubs and playing tennis and... ah! Then he got serious. Getting serious... one mistake I never made. ;) [hint of rueful amusement in wink]

• Members

My Dad's first car was a '52 MG-TD. When he met my Mom, he was on his second Austin Healey, a brand new '61, 3000 model. When my brother came in '67, he sold it and got serious. Around '79, he got another TD and tore it apart to restore it, but never finished. He did, however, take us to all the British car club events and picnics, and hung out with his British car friends. Somewhere along the line, it got in my blood too. There's just something about little British cars. I hope to pass the tradition down to my kids. This fall, I gave them their first rides in the Spitfire and they loved it. So did I.

All the best!

-Dan

• Members

My Dad's first car was a '52 MG-TD. When he met my Mom, he was on his second Austin Healey, a brand new '61, 3000 model. When my brother came in '67, he sold it and got serious. Around '79, he got another TD and tore it apart to restore it, but never finished. He did, however, take us to all the British car club events and picnics, and hung out with his British car friends. Somewhere along the line, it got in my blood too. There's just something about little British cars. I hope to pass the tradition down to my kids. This fall, I gave them their first rides in the Spitfire and they loved it. So did I.

All the best!

-Dan

I had chances to drive some of the last of the Brit classic sport cars: an MG-A hardtop (lots of class but not much sass -- and a wheel fell off just making a normal turn [not my fault -- even my HS buddy, the 17 year old owner, agreed]), a bug-eyed Sprite (loads of low slung fun... sort of like a go-cart with a body), a TR-4 (it was a real fire-breather from what I recall), a TR-GT6 (I think that was it, it was a sleek fastback), a classic Jag roadster (very slow but pretty classy, too), and, for a while, my GF's sister and brother-in-law parked their MGB fastback with me while they were living in Catalina and encouraged me to drive it from time to time (not a problem, thank you, very much). Also, though I never got to drive it, I got a few hold-onto-your-bucket-seat rides in my neighbor's Sunbeam Tiger LAT (the Shelby design with the V8 and extra performance package stuff that took it to just under a Shelby Cobra in terms of performance).

Today, I drive a Corolla... but it does have the bigger engine (just under 1800 -- about the same size as the powerplant of that MGB-GT, IIRC). ;) And, in a straight line, it might just be faster. Handling, OTOH, is OK... the front wheel drive pulls it through some corners it shouldn't have any business going into... but the body roll is not confidence inspiring and, well, carbon footprint and all that...

• Members

Beyond that, this is excellent work. The music is great, and the lyrics fit the mood of the song. You definitely have the '70s soft-rock vibe down. Great job, man--you obviously know what you're doing. I don't think there's much more to say. Let us know when the CD comes out.
:)

I agree with the 70's reference. Sounds a little like "I'd Really Love To See You Tonight - England Dan & John Ford Coley" , vocally and vibe - wise. Great tune!. :thu:

• Members

hey I'll comment on your song- nice work over all-- kinda ditto what other said however I am not much of a fan to ID an issue and not offer a solution overall I think the word "Drive" works best considering the premise of your song. The steel/slide guitar sounds good I am not sure if you paned the solo one direction or not (crappy pc speakers) but maybe that would add a little spiz-aze to it. Sorry if I aint much help I just enjoy hereing what other folks are doing as well-- cheers to you brother and Happy New Year!

Archived