If Yesterday Was Tomorrow, a new song

blue2blue

• Members

I have a very similar concept I'm trying to work in. The most succinct way I can word it is "the only way to get to where you're at is by the road that brought you there." So, I like "I'd still have wandered all this far." Time in the tear is a pretty cool concept as well.

Still, even an exercise keeps us moving, does it not?

EG

• Members

The treadmill of life... it's not the destination... it's the journey.

:D

Yeah... I was pretty dismissive of this song right after I wrote it but I've warmed up to it to a certain extent. I've always been influenced by the philsophical peregrinations of idealist philosophers Berkeley and Hume -- it always seemed to me they cut to the chase: nothing much can really be known for certain; get over it. (Or at least that's kinda how I sum it up. ;) )

I was thinking of a certain movie of the moment (which I haven't seen and likely won't but never say never, though in this case you can probably say not for a long time) and the notion of living life backwards, which made me think of an old sci fi yarn whose name and author I can't recall where time was flowing backwards, but the beginning/end was so horrorific that we imagined it the obverse. (It sorta made sense when you were reading it, I guess. Frankly, it's tough to remember.)

And it was that that put me in mind of Berkeley and Hume, and my extension of their thinking that not only could one be uncertain that the apparent flow of personal experience was related to an external reality, but that one could not even be certain that the temporal flow of that experience was not an illusion, itself.

If time was in this tear, as it were.

Amusingly (to me, anyhow), as I was tracking that line, I kept finding myself theatrically putting a finger on my cheek below my eye as though pointing to a tear... it seemed to help me remember that I wanted to suggest the encapsulation of time in a drop of sorrow. Or something... actually, the brief phrase is much better than my explanation, which, I would suggest, means it was successful. Which probably means someone else thought of it first... :D (But it does pass the Google phrase search test, I'm happy to report.)

[update: I actually decided last night that I should change the title of this to "If Time Was in This Tear" -- we'll see if that sticks, but I I'm leaning more toward that than the prosaic and insta-tired, If Yesterday Was Tomorrow... that line as title has continued to strike me as a yawner.]

• Members

I really enjoyed that...... To me lyrics had a kind of stripping life down to the bare essential kinda vibe. Playing and vocal was very smooth and confident.Whenever I try and sing one of my own songs,there is always a little voice inside saying"this sucks":rolleyes:....
Nice job!

• Members

Trust me... I had to sing over my own little voice that kept whispering, "Dude, this sucks." I'm looking for a plug in that will blot out that little voice long enough for me to get a few tracks down... ;)

In fact, I've got a [virtual] combo/produced version almost done -- except I keep redoing the vocals because... well... they suck. :D

(And, then, I keep trying out various robo-vocal-tuning strategies on the vocal takes... I'm trying to A) finally figure out how to use vocal-tuning properly and B) figure out what I'm doing wrong so that I won't need to.)

[And, to be perfectly frank, I still find myself thinking the vocals on this suck when I hear them, which I hadn't done in a while. So, that shows that sometimes you have to engage in some trade-offs or you may simply never get anything done.]

• Members

I view it more like showing the friends around the new house: And over there is the trash compactor -- don't you just love how it hides behind the 19th century antique oven door?

;)

But you're right that it really can get in the way of other people having a properly fresh view of the song. And if the author has to point out that cool little feature, that raises questions. OTOH, I do sort of like to talk about the songwriting process after folks have given whatever critique they've got. It can be edifying to compare what you were trying for with how it hit others and talking about how the effort may have fallen short. But, really, you're right, it's a bad habit I may have slipped into in my dotage. It's certainly something I was always on guard about as a young man in various workshops and classes. (Yes, I would have been a creative writing major had I not thought matriculating and getting degrees was selling out to the man. Also a big hassle. :D )

Archived