If Yesterday Was Tomorrow, a new song

blue2blue

• Members

Wrote this song (below) last night and shot the vid right after. Suggestions, comments -- and ridicule -- graciously welcomed! ;)

There's a lot of formalist irony going on here -- I worked to make the phrases interlock and tried to get the vauge and fuzzy notions to at least be coherent... which for me is the only saving grace. This was inspired (if that's the right word) by a certain big box office movie's hype... it seems so half-baked, simplistic, and filled with bromides and easy thinking that I'm sure it will be a big hit. The movie, that is... :D

55TAqSPNwgY

audio only version | A Year of Songs blog post for this song

bonus points available: See if you can guess the now-obscure Canadian folkie vocal influence I was consciously entertaining when I recorded this. Hint: it's not Gordon Lightfoot, Leonard Cohen, or Joni Mitchell.

deathless, eternal lyrics:

If Yesterday Was Tomorrow

If yesterday was tomorrow

I'd still be here today

As joy is born from sorrow

And night is bride to day

If the world and stars

were in my soul

and time was in this tear

I'd still have wandered all this far

I'd still be standing here

If love was not the only thing

that never had to die

still I'd spend my next life remembering

but never knowing why

If today was all there'd ever be

and tomorrow never came

I'd stay right here, I'd never leave

I'd do it all the same

If the world and stars

were in my soul

and time was in this tear

I'd still have wandered all this far

I'd still be standing here

As you regulars know, one of my favorite sayings is that songwriting is like other biological processes: you don't stop just because you don't like what's coming out.

And this little piece of nonsense, written last night, just before shooting this vid, rather exemplifies that attitude in practice. :D

• Members
you don't stop just because you don't like what's coming out.

Very good advice...even if no one else likes what we are doing at the very least we are being creative...

Well this has a complex concept put into a simple little song that has the future,past, and present all wrapped up in one song...

This line...kind of like it...And night is bride to day

This line...I'd still have be standing here...I don't think you sing it that way...

A little reincarnation thrown in as well...very nice...the only thing my ears wanted was a key change or melodic shift of a bridge...

Overall a fine example of writing and playing...very smooth playing and singing...:thu:

• Members

Sharp eye, there. Yeah, that was a typo, as you probably suspected.

This is a song, I figure, that begs to have the lyrics written out -- since every time I hear the song -- and I know what the words are -- I hear the 'bride' line as "night is bright as day" and I hear the "if time was in this tear" line as "if time was in this tier..." You know: "And -- if you order today -- you'll get time included in this tier at the same low price!"

BTW... I'm sure that movie will be a big hit. It seems from the bits and pieces I've read or heard about it, to exemplify the half-digested, pregurgitated, bite-sized philosophical morsel mentality found in previous wildly popular works ranging from Benjamin Livingston Seagull to, well, Forrest Gump. (Gump was from the same filmmaker as Button.)

PS... in addition to reincarnation, I managed to get a reference to Bishop Berkeley and David Hume, two idealist philosophers who've influenced my world view greatly. For those of you who slept through Philosophy 101, Idealism in philosophy isn't what it sounds like -- it's the notion that mind is real but that the real world may not be... or, rather, that we can never truly know whether the phenomenon of conscious experience reflects a greater reality. In my mind, not only can we not know that experience relates to some other reality -- we can't even know that it exists in the flow of time. Perhaps all there is is my imagining of this very moment -- and all that past and the flow of time is simply an illusion... perhaps all there is is the one moment, surrounded by a time and reality that is only wishful thinking... In which case -- I can't believe I wasted eternity on this song. :D

• Members

You seem to have entered a post modern production phase, at least with your recent offerings.....just you, your guitar and your song.

Oh, yeah.....and that camera.

This tune is just perfect for that medium a straight up delivery of a timeless message.

Oh.....and I suspect you may have been thinkin' 'bout eternity......and Bruce Cockburn.

• Members

I actually haven't thought about Bruce Cockburn since he was wishin' he had a rocket launcher. 'S okay. He probably hasn't been following my career, either. :D This reminds you of one of his? I liked that song, though I liked an acoustic version I heard someplace better than the AOR/MOR version that was on the radio in the 80s... but that got it on the radio, so, you know, if you wanna change the world, sometimes you've got to get down in the gutter... I mean, you know, onto pop radio. ;)

Thanks for the comments. I'm actually liking this tune better as a song than I did right after I wrote it, when I was feeling more like it was strictly a conceptual joke and a riff on current entertainments.

• Members

I like this tune, especially its economy with words. The juxtaposition of ideas/images works well. Cool melody, too. I really enjoy tightly-written music.

One thing ... I'd still have wandered all this far. Is that idiomatic to your region? I'd still have wandered works, but all this far? To my ears, it's the only line that doesn't really work imo.

• Members

It is a construction I've heard more than a few times (often accompanied by an expansive wave of the hands) -- but I agree it's awkward and I'm still looking for a smoother alternative. So far, I haven't come up with anything that holds the rhythm and rhyme and improves on that usage.

I've been back and forth over the 'spend my [next] life remembering' line, as well. I think the next is important enough to force me into a double time syncopation of the syllables but it does impact the flow negatively... maybe it's something that will start to fit better as I live with it... or not.

• Members

life remembering' line, as well. I
think
the
next
is important enough to force me into a double time syncopation of the syllables but it does impact the flow negatively... maybe it's something that will start to fit better as I live with it... or not.

Agreed. I think that line could be fixed, too. Four-syllable words can be a chore.

• Members

Doh! I get it!

Actually, it was Ian Tyson, of Ian and Sylvia. (Members of the Order of Canada, the highest civilian honor awarded by the Canadian government. ;) )

He's a much better singer with a much nicer baritone voice. But the way I was approaching the song really put me in mind of his kind of down home, kind of square classic folk/country singing.

• Members

Song idea is excellent, IMHO, and lyrics are fantastic. Maybe I don't know what country influence you refer to, but to me the metering seemed to robotic. I think it could have been more 'conversational'.

I also believe this song wouldn't only fly as country, but could cross over into other things.

• Members

I'm old enough to know who you were talking about if you were talking about Bach...

:D

But he ain't from Canada, of course.

Cat's out the bag on the mystery Cannadian: it was Ian Tyson, of 60s northern icons, Ian and Sylvia. As I was reading their Wikipedia write up, I was reminded that they were the then-big stars (for Canada, eh?) who introduced the young songwriter, Gordon Lightfoot, to Canada and the world with their version of "Early Morning Rain."

• Members

cool song blue,

kinda reminds me of Arlo or Woody Guthrie ( not sure of the spelling) and I'm not sure if they're from Canada but I believe you're old enough to know who I'm talkin about.:poke:

Nothing against Canada, but Woody Guthrie was as American as could be (and the fact that he could only have come into being in America is one of the things that still make me proud to be an American).

• Members

Nothing against Canada, but Woody Guthrie was as American as could be (and the fact that he could only have come into being in America is one of the things that still make me proud to be an American).

I was thinking he was American but I'm not real up on folk music

Archived