Stop writing songs.

the stranger

• Members

It's a two word explanation: the stranger. :D

The sensitive chord progression thing of which he speaks is in a thread in Craig Anderton's forum: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2196845

With regard to letting songs write themselves: it's great when they do... but, to paraphrase a little of my childhood religious education that I've retained:

The muses help those who help themselves.

I'm a big believer in letting inspiration do the talking... but when it's not forthcoming, sometimes you have to prime the pump a little. (And I'm not talking about a shot of whiskey or rye, thoughI've certainly gone down that road. Hell, I lived on that road...)

• Members

With regard to letting songs write themselves: it's
great when they do
... but, to paraphrase a little of my childhood religious education that I've retained:

The muses help those who help themselves.

I'm a big believer in letting inspiration do the talking... but when it's not forthcoming, sometimes you have to prime the pump a little. (And I'm
not
talking about a shot of whiskey or rye, thoughI've
certainly
gone down that road. Hell, I
lived
on that road...)

You can say that again! It's awesome when you get that inspiration and 10 minutes later you have a complete song, but if that was the only time I'd write anything I'd probably only write 3 or 4 songs a year tops.

• Members

IF you know HOW TO write songs then they do seemingly write themselves.

By that, I mean knowing or learning, all (or some) of the techniques and tricks that are required will make you a bonafide songwriter.

Success is based on knowledge and know how.

the more you know the further one can go.

sculpting a song from thin air is at once easy and very gratifying for me.

cause I know a couple of things.

Study is important. you have to know where you've been in order to get somewhere new. Being authentic in any given genre will allow the songwriter to pick and choose his chords and progressions and even lyrics.

Knowing the GENRE in which you wish to involve the tune is paramount.

you gotta know where you wish to go, to set out on your sonic journey.

my songs DO seem to write themselves.

only I know better.

I've proved it to myself too many times.

thanks for lettin me share.

TD

• Members

it would be interesting to hear the background of this post.

It's a long story. You would have to read every post up to this one. Like 8 years worth. Except for the archives MP deleted. I'm still sore about that. :mad:

I actually competed with Blue in the Forum Championships in 2004. He beat me with a sidetrack into elemental physics in a discussion about Long Beach. I happily conceded the win to the better man. I'm still training for my comeback.

Archived