Help? Where to start...

grohl735

• Members

HI

I really like the forum's so far and the reviews are great!

Well basically i am a guitarist in a band we have done some covers so far such as:

The foo fighters

The Pixies

Metallica

But it would be really great to write some of our own material. but i really don't know where to start. I can normally create some quite good riffs but it's hard to think of vocals. Do you have any tips?

Thanks

• Members

Start keeping a journal and describe to yourself everything you see and read and hear from day to day...ie:..I walked up to the lunch counter,and saw the waitress wearing a short skirt and a pony tail that swished from side to side while she wiped down the counter. An old man wearing a dirty shirt smoking a non filter and having his morning coffee flirted with the her as she passed by. I could see she liked to tease and gave him a little playful nod and smirk. The old diner's floor was worn in a path leading to the red clored stools where two seats were open for me to chose from. The smell of bacon floated through the joint like a heart attack on an episode of ER. I sat and down and I touched the sticky counter top where she had just finished cleaning. The old smoker asked me to pass the cream and he coughed when I slid it over to him.

Anyway you get the idea...go into a bookstore and do the same thing or any coffee shop or place of business...remember everything you see...observe all the small details...was it dark or light...was there a smell?...were there many people...what did they look like?...did the scene remind you of a place you've been before?...Remember as much as you can and write a short essay...maybe two three pages...try to write it out in sequence from beginning to end...you now should have the basic story in essay form...

Now go back to the beginning and pick out a main topic or line from your essay that you like or evoked an emotion...without trying to rhyme start with that first line...then add ryhmes as you go telling the story...

She was wearing a short skirt

Her pony tail swished from side to side

An old man with a dirty shirt

Flirted with her and told her lies

There ya have it ...your first verse...it won't go exactly like your essay so as you start writing the lyric from your short story you can embelish and start rhyming in sequence to the story that you already wrote out in essay form...it takes a while but it keeps the story in order and you have a structure to work from...

You didn't think there was a short cut did ya?...Just kidding...if you do this it will take you places you didn't imagine when you sat down to recall the scene you witnessed in your everyday life...ya just gotta do it...good luck

• Members

good advice ,, and a pretty good story too

how's it end ? :poke:

does he take her home to his fat toothless wife for a threesome ? :facepalm:

what about the lazy old dog layin in the door beggin for food as folks come out ? :rolleyes:

good story line bro :thu:

• Members

good advice ,, and a pretty good story too

how's it end ? :poke:

does he take her home to his fat toothless wife for a threesome ?
:facepalm:
what about the lazy old dog layin in the door beggin for food as folks come out ?
:rolleyes:

good story line bro
:thu:

I like the old dog laying outside...can't say much for the toothless bearded hag...:eek:

I found this to be a good way to have structure when you want to write a song but don't know where to start...so I will do this excersise and write out a story 2-3 pages or so and then whittle it down to a song...it keeps things in order if you follow beginning to end...it works and anybody can do it...

I don't know how it ends...I didn't write out my 2-3 pages...the antagonist is stuck in limbo sitting next to a dirty old man but really wanting to get on with the waitress!!:)

• Members

Do you remember her? Remember that time it was just you and her and screw the rest of the world? How did that feel? Write down ideas and sentences that come to mind. Images, memories.

There's a song.

Then there was that other relationship. It got ugly at the end. Remember that one? Write down ideas, images, feelings, smells tastes. Another song.

They say life is lived in moments. Songs are great when they can capture the feel of one of those moments.

That time you found out she was seeing someone else.

The time when your child was born.

A serene memory from childhood.

When you won a huge success.

When you lost something or someone.

Good! Capture that moment in a song. Like a polaroid for your ear.

HI

I really like the forum's so far and the reviews are great!

Well basically i am a guitarist in a band we have done some covers so far such as:

The foo fighters

The Pixies

Metallica

But it would be really great to write some of our own material. but i really don't know where to start. I can normally create some quite good riffs but it's hard to think of vocals. Do you have any tips?

Thanks

• Members

Good advice. Experimentation helps. Just try stuff until you stumble onto a technique that works for you. There are as many different techniques as there are songwriters. You have to be bad before you get good. Remember that first E chord?

Since you can write some good riffs, try repeating one over and over and start dropping in nonsense words or general statements until you run across a meter that works with your riff. Drop in enough nonsense and you will eventually stumble onto something that sticks. Build from that.

You can also try to decide beforehand what your song is about and write it out in prose. No meter, no rhyme, just a story. There will generally be a line in there somewhere that suggests your meter. Build from that and then try to fit the rest of your story in.

Occaisionally, you will make up or overhear or observe something that gives you a line. Often you won't even know what the song is about based on that one line, but if you team it up with enough stuff then something coherent will begin to emerge and that will tell you where to go with it.

For practice, try writing new lyrics for existing songs. That is a good way to learn how a song gets put together. Likewise, you can take an existing lyric and rewrite it in your own words without substantially changing the meaning. These are just exercises, ut if you think of them like practicing scales, you'll see what I mean.

Write every day. Even if it is terrible. Even if you don,t want to. Just like a miner, you have to sift through tons of ore to find that diamond.

Most lyrics don't change the world and they don't have to. Keep it simple to start with and just make sure that all your lines fit the meter properly without being forced, don't overdo the rhymes, and remember that if it doesn't sound natural when you are finished then it needs more work.

Ever been to Lindisfarne?

EG

Archived