we have a deep freeze that needs a freon refill... how the heck do you do that?!

Steveanders86

• Members

refrigeration guy, like air conditioners and stuff. my dad does commercial refrigeration.

anyway, if your freezer actually needs more freon, that means there's a leak that needs to be repaired. if it just quit working, it may or may not be because of low freon.

unless you actually need a huge mack daddy freezer, chest freezers are not expensive and would be a much cheaper option than paying a repair man. once those things start to fail, they can turn into money pits FAST.

• Members

refrigeration guy, like air conditioners and stuff. my dad does commercial refrigeration.

anyway, if your freezer actually needs more freon, that means there's a leak that needs to be repaired. if it just quit working, it may or may not be because of low freon.

unless you actually need a huge mack daddy freezer, chest freezers are not expensive and would be a much cheaper option than paying a repair man. once those things start to fail, they can turn into money pits FAST.

This-

Look for Industrial Heating and Cooling in the phone book.

• Members

....FAST.

Exactly. Freon does not disappear or get used up unless there is a leak.

• Members

It's funny how no matter what's the refrigeration problem everyone deducts that it is low on freon.

(I'm a former tech of 15 years I'm now changing careers)

I worked on a refrigerator little while back that froze up and the guy thought that it was low on 134a. He adds 2 cans (24oz. :eekphil:) and calls me saying it still won't work. The real problem was a bad defrost heater. I had to fix the heater plus take out the extra 134a he added to it.

• Members

Most residential style freezers don't come with service ports.Its almost always cheaper to buy new than spend $80-100 on labor for the repair.Especially if its more than 5 years old.

BTW Freon is just an industry term,like Kleenex is to tissues.There's still no refrigerants in use that don't deplete the ozone and or contribute to green house gasses. daily fun fact

• 11 years later...

Archived