Mr. Dealer (lyrics)

jamesashbourne

• Members

Hey, since i'm registered to this forum i thought i might as well post some of my own stuff on here. This one's called "Mr. Dealer", it's kind of self-explanatory.

Mr. Dealer

I was so lonely in a world that was so new to me

Euphorically speaking

I was in ecstacy

That's when it hit me i would never be free

Bound to this service

By this {censored}ing leash

Softly i'm calling so softly i'm calling your name

Please can't you help me oh please can't you help me now

My safety net was not there to rescue me

Rescue me

When i first met my dealer he called me his friend

But please mr. dealer i have no money to lend

Please take my family my possessions my friends

Cus they mean less than nothing

To me

Softly i'm calling so softly i'm calling your name

Please can't you help me oh please can't you help me now

My safety net was not there to rescue me

Rescue me

• Members

Hi, James

It is James, yeah?

I like the verses pretty well. The phrase "Euphorically speaking / I was in ecstacy" is pretty great... playing off, as it seems to the expected common phrase, euphemistically spealking as well as the parallel double meaning of ecstasy. (Street name for MDMA, or X, as the ravers used to have it. Happy to say I haven't seen a teething ring hung around someone's neck in a few years. :D They're all on straight speed or rehabbed, I'm guessing.)

The chorus -- on paper -- seems a little weaker. The safety net bit kind of doesn't work that well for me. Maybe just 'cause here in the states right now, all we're hearing about are failed safety nets of various kinds. I think I'd be looking for something that more zeroed in or suggested the feeling of unexpected falling that you're trying to convey, but maybe using a phrase that's not so buzzworn.

BTW... a lot of cold, scary power in that second verse... take my family and friends and possessions because they mean nothing compared to the need for the drug... (Geez, I hope it's not MDMA that the protagonist is so strung out on... that's gotta be rough on the ol' endorphin receptors... yow.)

With the right music, this could be a really subversive or perhaps really powerful (and maybe both) little cautionary song.

Strong start!

Archived