Official FEB 08 SHOWCASE [finished work/news/gossip/blatant self promo]

Stackabones

• Members

I'm still asleep in my hole... waiting for the sun...

Wake the wizard in his den, huh? Time for some real magic...

=[POOF!]=

WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL HC SW FORUM FEB '08 SHOWCASE THREAD

Please feel free to post finished works, videos, career news, gossip, outright bragging and all forms of blatant self-promo and self-aggrandizement that is normally frowned on...

POST 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM!!!

• Members

Oh, hai! :wave::o

Here's a collaboration I did with a friend of mine, Paul Gorman. Initially posted at VOM 13, but I wanted y'all to hear it.

I wrote this yesterday (Feb 8) about fifteen minutes before Mass (and on the way there) ... got a chorus and a verse. Last evening, I was going over to Paul's to have a little dinner and record some of his tunes. Before I went over, I sent over a lyric sheet and a demo of this tune and asked him if he could write a verse. He did.

After we laid down some of his tunes, I taught him Bread & Wine (oh, that Bb chord is much easier on uke than git) and we recorded it on my Zoom. This is the third take.

We sing on the verse that each of us wrote, but I wrote the chorus (which we trade off and on in an a quasi Exile harmony singing way). He's on guitar and I'm on tenor uke.

Bread & Wine

(Chris Baker/Paul Gorman)

CHORUS

Well, we broke a little bread

And we spilled a lot of wine.

There's nothing else I'd do instead

And there's nothing else that's so fine.

Well, I'd rather be cold and dead,

DNR and all flat-lined

If we couldn't break a little bread

And spill a lot of wine.

There are glory days and salad days

And tomorrow ain't so clear.

And I can't think of any better ways

Than spending today right here.

CHORUS

We'll tune up our boxes and play some songs

And we'll never hear the quiet.

But if we listen close and we listen long,

He might tell us to try it.

CHORUS

I don't get a chance to do this kind of thing too much. In fact, I can't recall anything in my files. It was a blast and a fun way to hang out.

• Members

this one is close to being 'finished' though it may never get 'finished'. whats lacking is a female backup vocal part...we never got the girl into the studio to do the part...and then final mastering of the piece.

anyway, the whole reason for this song being is that a buddy of mine called me up and asked me to write it. he gave me the lyric for the chorus and asked for a song to run during the credit roll of his comedic short film with the same title... Stunt Wife ... now the wheels have at least temporarily fallen off of that project..you know how creative types are... (i think film makers are the worst of all)... so finalizing the song is on the back burner.

anyway, here it is in all its (glory?)

Stunt Wife

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6251546&q=hi

• Members

CHORUS

I don't get a chance to do this kind of thing too much. In fact, I can't recall anything in my files. It was a blast and a fun way to hang out.

Ever read Ignazio Silone's "Bread and Wine"?

I think I read it right after or maybe right before Camus' The Plague (ah, those WWII generation profs and instructors, still fighting the Fascists 30 years later). Good stuff. Thought provoking. As good stuff always is.

• Members

Ever read
Ignazio Silone's "Bread and Wine"
?

I think I read it right after or maybe right before Camus' The Plague (ah, those WWII generation profs and instructors, still fighting the Fascists 30 years later). Good stuff. Thought provoking. As good stuff always is.

Hmmm ... don't recall that one. Did he have something to say about my song? :poke: ;)

Of course, him being Italian and from a Catholic culture (don't know if he was Catholic) and me being a Catholic writing a song on the way to Mass where the Eucharist is the source and summit of the Faith could be a titular connection perhaps.

Or am I reading too much into this. :o

• Members

Hmmm ... don't recall that one. Did he have something to say about my song? :poke:
;)

Of course, him being Italian and from a Catholic culture (don't know if he was Catholic) and me being a Catholic writing a song on the way to Mass where the Eucharist is the source and summit of the Faith could be a titular connection perhaps.

Or am I reading too much into this.
:o

Maybe, maybe not. Either way, that's a really cool tune. You do nice work.

As a Catholic convert myself (my brother is a Baptist minister; you can imagine those conversations) I find your devotion refreshing. I find many lifeong Catholics to be somewhat less enthusiastic about faith than I. I suppose growing up in a fundamentalist atmosphere, one becomes accustomed to people wearing their faith on their sleeves. Catholics tend to be much more reservered about their faith. Sorry for the soapbox.

Nice song.

EG

• Members

Maybe, maybe not. Either way, that's a really cool tune. You do nice work.

As a Catholic convert myself (my brother is a Baptist minister; you can imagine those conversations) I find your devotion refreshing. I find many lifeong Catholics to be somewhat less enthusiastic about faith than I. I suppose growing up in a fundamentalist atmosphere, one becomes accustomed to people wearing their faith on their sleeves. Catholics tend to be much more reservered about their faith. Sorry for the soapbox.

Nice song.

EG

Thanks, EG.

Catholic Converts represent! Gotta go see what's on Marcus Grodi's show tonight!

Have you been to Mass at the Cathedral? It looks gorgeous!

• Members

Thanks, EG.

Catholic Converts represent! Gotta go see what's on Marcus Grodi's show tonight!

Have you been to Mass at the Cathedral? It looks gorgeous!

I have. My Parish is about 30 miles away, but we go into town from time to time. My son's confirmation was there recently. Visibility inside isn't the greatest, but, oh well.

The mosaic collection is stunning. The strangest thing about it is seeing modern figures in suit and tie represented in a mosaic. You are so accustomed to seeing those from the middle ages that when you see a modern one on that scale it's kind of strange. It's a beautiful place though. In a very nice part of old St Louis. Four blocks away, however... not so much.

My parish, while much newer, has one of the most impressive Crucifixes sp? you'll ever see. I'll see if I can get a pic of it to you on the email.

Did you get my last email? Couple of weeks ago.

EG

• Members

Hmmm ... don't recall that one. Did he have something to say about my song? :poke:
;)

No, I'm pretty sure he coded secret messages about your song into his '30s novel. Like Nostradamus... or the Amazing Criswell.

• Members

I love the interplay of Bread & Wine - it's clear you guys are enjoying yourselves and it translates well. Very nicely done!

Stunt Wife is a great title and I wish the song really played with the idea more. The song is a little stretched out but then again it's supposed to play over credits. It put a smile on my face.

• Members

I love the interplay of Bread & Wine - it's clear you guys are enjoying yourselves and it translates well. Very nicely done!

Thanks! It was a really loose, fun session. I'm glad that it translates. I've done gigs with Paul before. He's hired me to come out and be, well, his hired gun. So we have that ability to relax around each other and just let it roll.

• Members

this one is close to being 'finished' though it may never get 'finished'. whats lacking is a female backup vocal part...we never got the girl into the studio to do the part...and then final mastering of the piece.

anyway, the whole reason for this song being is that a buddy of mine called me up and asked me to write it. he gave me the lyric for the chorus and asked for a song to run during the credit roll of his comedic short film with the same title... Stunt Wife ... now the wheels have at least temporarily fallen off of that project..you know how creative types are... (i think film makers are the worst of all)... so finalizing the song is on the back burner.

Stunt Wife

Stunt Wife. Great rock and roll. Nice guitar chops, man. Marilyn and DiMaggio; that's great. Stunt Wife. That's about as good as The Asshole Trap. Congrats, man, that's cool.

EG

• Members

Stunt Wife

Great fun. The Marilyn/Dimaggio bit is a sharp line as others noted.

• Members

;)

I'm Of Italian decent but lost the urge to do the Catholic thing long ago...my grandfather was from Sicily and came to America through Ellis Island...he ended up in Cheyenne Wyo of all places...windy and cold as hell!!...used to visit us in Calif every year, and when Sunday rolled along it was...

"Teddy,come on a we gonna go to a confession"...every year I had to ask someone what the heck I was supposed to say in that little cubical...never did get the hang of it.

I wasn't sure people still went to confession but I guess they do.

• Members

Solid tune. Strong production, too. Pretty tastey licks in there --- Strat?

Thanks - and yes it is my EC Strat....which I use for pretty much all my lead stuff. It has that nice Strat single coil sound but if you crank the special tone knob you get a humbucker kind of overdrive to it... ;)

• Members

I just finished my "album" under the guise of my alter ego Swig Marinade, entitled Finger Food. It's 13 songs, 49 minutes long...listen to as much or as little as you want. It was all written in 2007 with the intention of finishing it that year but...

Any feedback is always appreciated.

• Members

I just finished my "album" under the guise of my alter ego
Swig Marinade
, entitled
. It's 13 songs, 49 minutes long...listen to as much or as little as you want. It was all written in 2007 with the intention of finishing it that year but...

Any feedback is always appreciated.

Most excellent. Will check it out tonight.

Archived