When one of your influences / heroes releases a record...

Jimmy Chaos

• Members

This evening I was walking home from the pub, (it's surprisingly not cold here in England despite the time of year)

And I realised something.

Morrissey's new record came out this week, and this week I've wrote 4 songs.

I've thought back over my humble and shortlived 'career' and noticed a corralation between when my favourite bands / artists have released records, and when my own songs were written.

My best songs were written around the time my favourite bands have released records.

Anyone else notice this?

• Members

My best songs were written around the time my favourite bands have released records.

Anyone else notice this?

No...

But then I haven't been following your career as closely as maybe I should have... :D

Seriously, though, I have noticed that my occasional enthusiasm over a record that's new to me will generate some extra creative juice.

Oftentimes it will be some little element, some vibe, that gets me going and then I can turn off the sparking song and let my imagination go... happily, because of the way my brain works, the fruit typically seems to roll a long way from the tree... as they say in the orchard biz.

• Members

I
have
noticed that my occasional enthusiasm over a record that's new to me will generate some extra creative juice.

Oftentimes it will be some little element, some vibe, that gets me going and then I can turn off the sparking song and let my imagination go... happily, because of the way my brain works, the fruit typically seems to roll a
long
way from the tree... as they say in the orchard biz.

True for me as well. I'll hear something that catches my fancy, hum it for a few days, then write something of my own, usually bearing no resemblance to the trigger song.

This has occurred recently after hearing new releases from Bruce Cockburn, Grievous Angels and lately Serena Ryder.

cheers

R

• Members

Not necessarily a new release, but any time I buy a new album I tend to get inspired. A lot of my songs spawn from a line in a song. My song always goes off in a different direction than what I heard. It's usually just an image in a song that sparks me to thinking about it and I cme up with something. A line in a Yes song once inspired one of my most country tunes. No correlation other than an image in a song that led me off on a tangent.

EG

Archived