Curiousity..

inais

• Members

hey all, im not on this side of the forum very much, but i found it interesting so i thought id give it a go.

Anyways, I'm in a band, and am curious to see what you say about the songs, whether it be, constructive critisism, or that singer is crap, or man you need to play guitar.

www.myspace.com/violetskyaustralia

is the link to the bands few songs

2 of them are recorded live and overdubbed as we cant afford a proper recording, and one named crying was me playing around with my new recording device and seeing what my mate could do with his voice.

So yeah, if your bored and feel like giving us some constructive critism more than anything, that would be great.

thanks

Tim:rolleyes:

• Members

Hello inais ,

I had a listen to the the songs on your site and thought I'd post some thoughts.

1) Cryin' - nice feel to the tune ..very moody piece (in a good way ) Acoustic recording has a nice tone , electric in the background I feel is adding in a nice way. Vocals have an emotion I like in the performance but there are some issues here. I think the long reverb delay sounds good to end the lines ,but during the lines I think its making some mud happen . So maybe some automation on the verb channel to add the feel but step out of the way to reduce some of the mud might help. Some of the plosives are pretty strong on the vox so a cheap pop filter might be a very good investment.There are some pitch issues as well with the vox but I think a little time could be spent re-dubing and take care of that. I do wish you had posted the lyrics with the recordings because while I picked up some of the lyrics I felt I was missing out . Overall I dig the tune .

2) Sound of silence - good feel on this one again . Overall good use of dynamics I think. Balance is a little off but I am guessing this was recorded with limited micing so its understandable. I'm getting the impression the singer likes the interplay he gets from his effects chain but what I am hearing is a little too wet on effects. Same smearing effect as in Cryin' .I think maybe the delay he is hearing in how wet his channel is effecting his ability to correct pitch fast enough. By the time he is hearing it its too late to correct if that makes sense. So if you have a way to record him with reduced effects or even dry and add later at mix down I think you'll hear a major improvement overall on pitch and phrasing .

3) Trade 4 Hire -Drums seem to shine on this one . I liked the other two songs better but that's totally subjective really. I did think the structure works well .Vocals seemed too strained here and with the same mud as the other two making it hard to pick out lyrics.

I think the band has a " sound" of its own. And that's really refreshing in the same ol same ol that going around . I don't know what your recording setup limitations are but I think you can take what you have and build on it . Things like pop filters are cheap but there is a reason you still see them in front of mic that are worth thousands. You can still get a good sound with limited room mics but if you got a free channel at all I'd reserve it for vocals so you have some options later on .

I had fun listening to the songs and I wish you all the best.

T bone

• Members

First thing's first: change the MySpace page. It's damn near impossible to read.

Now, onto the music.

Cryin': Vocals are strong, but invest in a pop filter. Or make one. The one I use in all my recordings is made of a cut up tube sock and and a wire hanger. The little arpeggio is nice. Kind of long-ish, and the recording is a little reverb-heavy for my tastes. Also, why the lack of percussion if you have a drummer? Overall, pretty good. If I heard this on the radio I would go home and check out the rest of your catalog.

I'll come back and do the others later. Keep it up though, man.

• Members

thanks heaps guys, I wasnt really expecting such good reports.

all songs are recorded with a line 6 toneport. and a program called audacity. trade 4 hire and sos are recorded live in a room, with the vocals, and overdubbed with vocals. the cryin recording was actually recorded when i first got my line 6, and we didnt have a band. we are using some cheap 58 and 68 mics. but might invest in a pop filter at some point.

Jay, am still working on a new page background so the colours dont clash and its readable.

Tbone - will get some lyrics up for you as soon as i can mate.

thanks heaps again

TIm

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

i put a new song up on there if anyone is interested. The one titled Ultra Violet.

would be good to hear the feedback on that. its still recorded in a living room with overdubbed vocals over the top of vocals, so u will hear some different voice underneath.

Archived