Trying to push my vocals in my latest song

jaybunting

• Members

Generally, I'm really subconscious about my voice and sing in a really subdued fashion. At the insistence of a few listeners, I've been trying to change that in my last few recordings, especially this one. What'd you guys think? Does it sound too contrived?

Anyway, on to the song itself.

This one's called "Everything You Knew." Like I said in the video, I don't really remember writing it. I woke up and I had a short demo with the melody and fingerpicking patter and then some lyrics scribbled in my notebook. So it's almost like magic. Comments/criticism appreciated, as always.

YouTube:

[YOUTUBE]g0SgGg3kBdo[/YOUTUBE]

MySpace:

http://www.myspace.com/jaybunting

• Members

get over the subconscious thing on your voice, cause it shows.

You write good songs, and you'll probably get one chance to make first impression. Much of the time, People will feel it and walk if they the don't like your singing.

So push it, and you might what to take some lessons so you feel better about it.

Note this advice if coming form a guy with a dylan style voice.

take timem so hang in there.

• Members

I think you have pretty good songwriting skills. Your vocals are a little monotone though in this key.

I think you're singing below your ideal range. Your ideal range or key would require more effort/breathing/diaphram work and would result in more power, projection and probably better tone.

Lift the key and try writing another piece and see how it comes across....

• Members

When I first heard your speaking voice you kind of reminded me of Jeff Buckley....he was also very soft spoken in a higher pitch like yourself.

I actually really like your singing voice a lot. I don't think this specific song really shows off your vox the best, but I checked out some of your other songs, and the vocals in them sounded really good. I'm a little jealous of that tenor voice that you have....and with more work I think you can sound really really good.

And I think you did a fantastic job as far as songwriting goes.

Keep up the good work :thu:

Archived