Crate Blue Voodoo BV120H/Basic tube amp question

paulsitive

• Members

Whats up dudes. Forgive my stupidity but I am new to tube amps and am in need of some answers.

I just purchased a Crate Blue voodoo bv120h off craigslist for insanely cheap. first i'm trying to figure out if this amp is a self-biasing kinda thing. A couple people plus the guy I bought it from told me it IS, but I mailed Crates tech support and they tell me it's not. So what's the deal?

Also, with the power tubes...do I need to use all the exact same kind of tubes (brand plus tube type). The guy included 3 6l6C groove tubes and i have one 6l6GC groove tube. any info would be awesome, thanks!

• Members

Whats up dudes. Forgive my stupidity but I am new to tube amps and am in need of some answers.

I just purchased a Crate Blue voodoo bv120h off craigslist for insanely cheap. first i'm trying to figure out if this amp is a self-biasing kinda thing. A couple people plus the guy I bought it from told me it IS, but I mailed Crates tech support and they tell me it's not. So what's the deal?

Also, with the power tubes...do I need to use all the exact same kind of tubes (brand plus tube type). The guy included 3 6l6C groove tubes and i have one 6l6GC groove tube. any info would be awesome, thanks!

:eek:

He gaave you 3 power t00bz? :lol::lol: you probably want to go to www.dougstubes.com and get 4 matched toobz :thu:

• Members

Yeah, mine has the older blue tolex also. Havent played it in a while, but I had mine biased when I got new tubes put in. That is what Crate customer service told me to do too. I would suggest getting it biased. I would also suggest throwing an eq in the loop to get the brittleness out of the clean channel. (very harsh and trebbly)

• Members

I have one. It is not self-biasing. You have to open it up and find the bias pot. My Blue Voodoo runs at about 460 volts on the plates. Be careful biasing or you'll get killed.

It does take very well to JJ 6L6GC power tubes. You must use a 12AX7 in V1for your clean channel. Anything else in V1 sounds anemic. V2 is the gain channel. The gain is way over the top. Do not use the factory recommended 12AX7 in V2. You'll get a ratty, fizzy, harsh, way over-the-top overdrive. Use a 12AY7 or 12AU7. I'm using the latter. The overdrive sounds great at 7.5 sounds great with when using 12AU7 in V2. A 12AT7 will get you similar tones at about 4, but it tends to be a somewhat less musical tube - at least to my ears.

I also recommend that you use a 12AT7 or a 5751 in the phase inverter. With a 12AX7 there, the amp tends to have these harsh highs. I'm using a JAN Philips 12AT7 in V4 and I am really happy with how the Blue Voodoo takes to it.

With the right tubes, this is a very good sounding amp that is available for very reasonable dollars. Hope this information helps you.

• Members

I have one. It is not self-biasing. You have to open it up and find the bias pot. My Blue Voodoo runs at about 460 volts on the plates. Be careful biasing or you'll get killed.

It does take very well to JJ 6L6GC power tubes. You must use a 12AX7 in V1for your clean channel. Anything else in V1 sounds anemic. V2 is the gain channel. The gain is way over the top. Do not use the factory recommended 12AX7 in V2. You'll get a ratty, fizzy, harsh, way over-the-top overdrive. Use a 12AY7 or 12AU7. I'm using the latter. The overdrive sounds great at 7.5 sounds great with when using 12AU7 in V2. A 12AT7 will get you similar tones at about 4, but it tends to be a somewhat less musical tube - at least to my ears.

I also recommend that you use a 12AT7 or a 5751 in the phase inverter. With a 12AX7 there, the amp tends to have these harsh highs. I'm using a JAN Philips 12AT7 in V4 and I am really happy with how the Blue Voodoo takes to it.

With the right tubes, this is a very good sounding amp that is available for very reasonable dollars. Hope this information helps you.

The Gain seems right on mine.. Only with the boost it sounds like crap.

• Members

Thanks. Looks like I have some tinkerin to do this weekend!

• Members

so should I not go with groove tubes? my only reason to do so would be because they're definitely cheaper than jj's, is the tone THAT much of a difference?

The reason I bought this amp is because people were saying it had over the top gain. I'm into this. haha. I'm starting a little side project with some friends and definetly wanna go for a trebly pantera esque crunch

• Members

If you like the over-the-top gain, I'd suggest you stick a good NOS 5751 in V2. It will tame the amp just a little and it will be more musical than any 12AX7 being made today.

Buy a new set of JJs from Eurotubes. From memory, I think my Blue Voodoo came with #4 rate Groove Tube 6L6CHPs. Eurotubes has a rating system for power tubes. I think the ones that popped right in and did not require a re-bais were rated 49.

SEDs also sound very good in this amp. A set from thetubestore.com rated 25 on their scale also biased up well without adjustment off of the factory setting.

The only Groove Tube 6L6s I would use are the 6L6GEs. These are a lot more expensive than the JJs or SEDs. No need to spend that kinds of $.

Good luck.

• 10 years later...

Archived