A really different and unique song

rockinrobby

• Members

Cool tune ... not sure about "really different and unique" but it is a solid tune, well-crafted and strongly performed & recorded. I don't really get the jazzy, bluesy or film noir associations that you hear.

I like "rebel seed." Are from the South? It's hard for me to hear rebel without it having Southern connotations.

• Members

Yeah, not too sure about the "unique-ness," but this is really good. Production's nice, but the drums sound a little too mechanical during the verses (not that there's anything you can do about that without a drummer at your disposal). You have an awesome voice. Is this mix pretty much final?

• Members

I apologize for saying it was "unique". It's unique to me :-) LOL! There was actually a drummer that played on this, I don't know him. This was a colab that they asked me to sing on. And I was so impressed with the song, that I agreed to sing it and tried to add my own vibe to it. The mix is fluid.. They are modifying it as we speak, I really appreciate your comments, and in fact, they mirror what others have said, "so you have good ears :-)" And good ears are priceless... Thanks very much for listening and for commenting!

• Members

I guess the piano might be lending it a smidgeon of noir vibe, like the music that might play when Phillip Marlowe walks into a seedy dive looking for some girl connected to his case, but the rest of it isn't particularly noirish.

However it is really well done. There's a little bit of vocal I don't like (the bit before the 'mirror' lyric feels a bit uncomfortable to me) but notihng much wrong with it at all. When it first came on the first couple of chords and drumbeats made me think of 'You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)' by the Beatles which is one of my favourite songs of theirs.

• Members

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=826274&songID=7366706

I believe it has a bluzy, jazzy, "film noir" vibe to it.

Thanks for listening, please comment if you'd like.

The Rebel Seed...

I think this is very well written and quite distinctive. (And it looks like the folks prowling the Indie tracks at Soundclick think so, it's no. 1 today in their Indie charts. :) )

I think the central motif of the father predicting someday the son will look in the mirror and see his father's face and that his own son will break his heart is a really nice, powerful image with the ring of truth.

Unfortunately, before I listened I saw a comment about the phrase "rebel seed" so I can't come to it completely virginal, but I don't think that I would, in this context, jump to the 'Southern' connection. (Now, maybe if that was the only snippet I really heard, but... in context of the rest of the song, I don't think so. I think the phrase wriggles free of century and a half old connotations.)

A strong song it seems to me.

:)

Archived