Floating Fish

333maxwell

• Members

I hate to run back to back songs as usualy one of mine is too much as it is..

still I had to get this one off my chest for awhile..

Heres a lil song that has no reason in life except it was fun to make.

I'll recut the vocals when I get some quiet time around the house. Like most

my stuff I had about a half hour to lay down what I did without noise or interuptions

and I am darn happy I had it.. so it could use work but I am glad to of laid down

what I did.

I present Floating Fish.

Floating Fish

lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=7373208&q=lo

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=7373208&q=hi

There's a place

Down on vagabond corner

you can find what will put you at ease

For your sunshine or snow it's where anything goes

and the working girls do what you please

Out the back door

is destitute alley

thats where the working man goes

they say misery loves friends and there's never an end

for the line at the door that wont close

You wont need your watch there

Because time is measured in years

And the cover is cheap and it's all yours to keep

for the price of a couple of beers.

Theres this place called

yesterday morning

thats where your best memories stay

the rents always dirt cheap and the only upkeep

is keeping new memories away

So if you hang out

at vagabond corner

with the devil he'll be your best friend

and that happy lifestyle it will just take awhile

till you realize it's only pretend

• Members

A lot of good imagery in this tune. Sounds like some places I have driven past, or seen in movies, or would like to go to, or not. very dark.

Do you normally sing like that? It may have sounded a little forced, but that might have been your situation at home at the time.

A very nice effort. Nice playing. Nice production. Is that all real instrumentation?

I think I would have liked it better if I hadn't read the words first. I should've let them surprise me as I listened. That's my fault tho.

• Members

Mr Maxwell, Frito-Lay calling... they have a celeb impersonator gig for you!

:D :D :D

First, super horn work, the ragged late night blues jam feel is perfect. Things are ragged, but so right. The lyrics were mostly strong and well focused. I had a little issue with the phrase/name Destitute Alley... on top of Vagabond Corner, it's a bit much. And both those phrases combined with the vocals bring us to the unavoidable comparison we all knew was coming... There's already one Tom Waits, and unless I miss my guess, that's probably enough...

If I was to change any one thing on this to get it out of the shadow, it would certainly be those well-done but archly imitative TW-style vocals. The lyrics will certainly still bring comparisons to mind for many, but it won't be so... thick.

I want to re-emphasize, though, how much I liked the musical presentation. It has the perfect, meandering, lost in the blues, smokey vibe. It's almost impossible for me to believe you could get this done in a half hour. Sometimes it takes me that long to tune my guitar.

• Members

A lot of good imagery in this tune. Sounds like some places I have driven past, or seen in movies, or would like to go to, or not. very dark.

Do you normally sing like that? It may have sounded a little forced, but that might have been your situation at home at the time.

A very nice effort. Nice playing. Nice production. Is that all real instrumentation?

I think I would have liked it better if I hadn't read the words first. I should've let them surprise me as I listened. That's my fault tho.

Thanks for the thoughts..

The instruments are a blend of real and phoney.. in a way a solo piece like this has more to do with 'beats' than 'blues' as far as production goes..

Thanks for the thtoughts..

• Members

Mr Maxwell, Frito-Lay calling... they have a celeb impersonator gig for you
!

:D

First,
super
horn work, the ragged late night blues jam feel is
perfect
. Things are ragged, but
so right
. The lyrics were mostly strong and well focused. I had a little issue with the phrase/name
Destitute Alley...
on top of Vagabond Corner, it's a bit much. And
both
those phrases combined with the vocals bring us to the unavoidable comparison we all knew was coming...
There's already
one
Tom Waits
and unless I miss my guess, that's probably enough...

If I was to change any one thing on this to get it out of the shadow, it would certainly be those well-done but archly imitative TW-style vocals. The lyrics will
certainly
still bring comparisons to mind for many, but it won't be so...
thick.

I want to re-emphasize, though, how much I liked the musical presentation. It has the perfect, meandering, lost in the blues, smokey vibe. It's almost impossible for me to believe you could get this done in a half hour. Sometimes it takes me that long to tune my guitar.

Remember the Frito Bandito? Now thats the gig I would opt for.. *G*

As for Waites etc.. see, I figure I get a bit of license as that this is just one piece in the vast array of different styles and musical mimickry I enjoy.. I suppose the real kicker is, Mr Waits certainly likes to spoof Louie, and in my very humble attempt, I tried to spoof a bit of both of them.. I knew it was a cheesy imitation of sorts.. this was kind of my goal..

You may of mis-read me.. the song took two days to put together.. but it took a half hour to write and sing the lyrics.. to be fair and the outline of the lyrics were wrote already.. I just had to fill in blanks.. but when the wife unexpectedly left with the lil one I had to jump on it..

But the whole song in 30 minutes??? Heavens no.. It took me a few hours to fine tune each instruments placement for all practical purposes..

Thanks for the ear and support my friend, it means a lot..

• Members

I feel
so
much better.

I was sort of figuring you mean a half hour of red light time -- but even at that...

Anyhow, like I said, really sounds great. I really admire your multi-instrument prowess.

It actualy takes me a hlaf hour just to boot up my ancient laptop! True story.. *L*

Thanks again for the time man!

Archived