How to write tab the easy way...midi + guitar?

Planethood

• Members

I currently tab out a lot of my music. However, it takes me FOREVER, especially when I deal with signature changes, accents, and so forth. Is there an easier way?

I was thinking that I could buy some type of device for my guitar that could go into the computer. Then, I could just play my music and it would tab the notes for me while I play. Any ideas? Do I need some type of midi device?

• Members

You could buy a MIDI controller guitar... they're typically a guitar, often specially designed, that is fitted with a 'hex' pickup that produces a separate audio signal for each of the six strings. Those signals are analyzed individually for pitch information, that's mapped to the MIDI note system, and the MIDI signals for the notes are then potentially sent to a MIDI sequencer which records the MIDI information and/or to a synthesizer sound module, where the MIDI notes can be turned back into different types of sounds, a la typical synthesis.

If your MIDI guitar and sequencer or software have such a capability, you should also be able to capture the string and fret information from the raw stream (I believe) and translate that into something that can be used to create tab. But that's not part of basic MIDI and you should wait until someone comes into this thread who has specific experience with such a system to confirm that.

• Members

GFJ has got a good point: if the notion is to be able to remember what you played (or to communicate it to others), a web cam capable of full motion video (ie, 30 frames per second, give or take) can be a real boon.

It doesn't have to be a webcam, of course. Although that may be one of the cheapest ways to go.

Nowadays many snapshot cams and even phones have some kind of video. 15 frames per second may not capture all the fancy fretwork, but it might be enough.

• Members

writing it down is always the best option for me but i don`t usually go into great detail and my songs aren't really solo oriented.

I use guitarpro5.2 ..started using it because i couldn't program metronomes to play oddiregular time signatures so that i could practice my songs.

Archived