Songwriting Challenge 18 - Character Songs - The Reveal

rsadasiv

• Members

Write a song from the point of view of a character in the song.

tbryson - Willows Weeping

Stackabones -

tspit74 - Give Me a Chance

tspit74 - Taxi-Cab Confessions

rsadasiv - The Knowledge of Engines and Cars

Thanks to everyone who participated, and if I missed anyone send me a PM and I will update this post.

And although it wasn't written this month, everyone should check out the character song Buzz Roo Ann off of eeglug's new album Finger Food.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well my toaster is to tall and my bread is to short. I use a wood skewer to get the bread out. I found that a knife is just not a good option. Are the chords on a Uke the same as a guitar? Maybe sort of, like you use parts of a guitar chord?

• Members

Gimmie a chance...Is she asking him to give her a chance? She wouldn't need to ask me twice:rolleyes:...Good pop/rock production...at times the drums got out of the groove you had but really overall fun tune.

These lines...

As we grow older, life gets hard.

But you can't let it bring you down.

Hold on to all your memories memories.

But, memories are like a house of cards.

Sometimes you pull one out and they all come tumblin' down.

Nice verse. Well done.

• Members

Taxi Cab Confessions-Wow real well done. We've got Stevie Wonder with us..Like your vocal on this. Reminds me a bit of Stevie or least I could see him doing this. Very well written. Good lyric.

These Lines...

Mr. Right and Homecoming queen of '72.

Son's a doctor. Their daughter is away at school.

At night he sneaks around the city 'cause he doesn't want his wife to know.

But if he only knew that every morning, I take his wife to meet her Romeo.

Real nice well written verse.

• Members

rasdsaiv-nice...a bit disjointed in parts but I can see what you were going for. Very creative. Ending stopped abruptly.

these lines...

Cardinal, Titmouse, Black Capped Chickadee

Come to the feeder, taking a seed

Through the window each eating alone

Find for myself what I will never be.

Nice chorus well phrased for the singing.

• Members

tspit74 -- interesting mix in Give Me A Chance of prose in the verses (with some rhymes here and there) and the anthem chorus. It's like Prince mixed with a prose Springsteen.

And I dig the vibe of Taxi-Cab Confessions. Those long lyrical lines really work with the theme of the song. Neat to hear all those vignettes about various riders.

• Members

Well my toaster is to tall and my bread is to short. I use a wood skewer to get the bread out. I found that a knife is just not a good option. Are the chords on a Uke the same as a guitar? Maybe sort of, like you use parts of a guitar chord?

Same chords on guitar and uke. G and C. The shapes on the uke are different, but the notes are the same.

• Members

TBryson - Willows Weeping - Very good writing. I like all the various chord patterns you've used in the song (Verse/Chorus/Bridge). They bring nice flavors to the song.

Stackabones - Toaster Too Short, Bread Too Tall. A video is always a nice changeup from audio.... Funny theme - it's oh so true damn short toasters...

Good job...

tspit74 - Give Me a Chance - Super story on this... I liked the feel for the verses which are kinds spoken and then the uplifting musical melodic chorus.

Reminds me a bit if of Steely Dan. Very nice arrangement...

tspit74 - Cool - two songs from the same guy! Another good tune... More cool melody and vocal arrangements. This one also has some Steely Dan vibe with some BeeGees BGV feel... But you didn't just hear that.....keep it under your hat....

rsadasiv - The Knowledge of Engines and Cars - Another good one RS - diggin your signature sound.... Grooved along with the story. Being a bird fan I was taken away to days of yore watching them at the feeder. Nice keys/guitars in this... Kinda cut off abruptly though....

:thu:

• Members

Willows Weeping: Nice vibrato. Melodically, I'm getting a good McCartney vibe. There's a beautiful lightness to it that feels really good. Then there's the sadness of the really well written lyric. The words are really great. Of the songs submitted this month, I've probably listened to this one the most. Once you know what it's about, you come back to it and it just gets better and better. Of course, being the king of bombast and over production, I can hear a lot of cool arrangement ideas for this tune. Which would probably just ruin it. Great job.

Toaster Too Short, Bread Too Tall: Hey, man. No fun aloud! This is great. It's obvious to all of us that you've suffered for your art. However, now we know that you've suffered for toast. Or is it just one big sexual metaphor? Either way, I like it. You will excel at next months challenge: Write a song about your refrigerator!

The Knowledge of Engines and Cars: This is awesome. Great groove and interesting, personal lyrics. Totally catchy chorus. I can tell I'm gonna be humming it all day. You've definitely got your sounds together. Great blend of simple parts, stacked against each other with good, distinctive sounds. The chorus has a great swing to it. Made me think of "Drop the Pilot" by Joan Armitrading for some reason, and I haven't heard that song in about 20-25 years. I dug this one a lot.

Taxi-Cab Confessions: ido1957- BeeGees? Guilty. When the chorus first came to me (while rocking my daughter), I heard it as being sung by Barry Gibb. Also, probably influenced by Hall & Oates, Simply Red, and Gino Vannelli. Your standard blue-eyed (or in my case, green-eyed) soul. This is a couple months old. I wasn't going to submit it since I'd posted it previously. But it fit the challenge so well, I figured it might be okay so long as I submit something fresh too. I resisted submitting it because I wanted to use this challenge as an opportunity to do something new. Which brings us to...

Give Me a Chance: I was up until 3:00 AM finishing this up. I feel like a zombie and as I sit at work listening to it in the cold light of day, I hear a lot of mistakes and lumpy bits. It's a terrible mix. But overall, it's what I was going for more or less. Kind of a Stonesy/J. Geils/Springsteen/Mellencamp midwestern, rural-male, midsummer night's sex fantasy. The mix is screwy because I mixed it with headphones. What sounds fine on phones with tired ears sounds really uneven thru speakers and fresh ears. Oh well. Time to move on to the next one I guess.

I love these challenges as they keep me on track and force me to create. Thanks everybody!

• Members

The Knowledge of Engines and Cars

I was up late last night trying to finish tracking, so I just had a fresh listen on cheapo headphones. Yikes! The mix is awful, the guitar solo ranges from kind of ok to horrible (especially during the verse section :facepalm:) and the panning on the verse groove makes me slightly seasick from listing back and forth in my chair.

Needs a lot of work. :(

I'll listen to the other stuff tonight in a more sympatico listening environment. Back to the daily grind.

• Members

Willows Weeping: Nice vibrato. Melodically, I'm getting a good McCartney vibe. There's a beautiful lightness to it that feels really good. Then there's the sadness of the really well written lyric. The words are really great. Of the songs submitted this month, I've probably listened to this one the most. Once you know what it's about, you come back to it and it just gets better and better. Of course, being the king of bombast and over production, I can hear a lot of cool arrangement ideas for this tune. Which would probably just ruin it. Great job.

Thanks tspit74...I've heard that McCartney ref on the chords and melody stuff a few times. He uses some diff kind of chords that are hard to play but I keep trying. I'am limited on full production so if you want to, wail/whale/wale away:idk: In my mind there is a lot of stuff that can be done. Harmonies, lead guitar etc horns...

• Members

Willows Weeping - An interesting topic treated with real subtlety. It's not often that I come back to a song for its words but you've made me do so here. Nice.

Toaster Too Short, Bread Too Tall - Yummy. Another very serious topic tackled with skill and simplicity.

Give Me A Chance - Love those awesome vocal harmonies in the chorus. Is it just you singing the harmonies? If so, hats off to you - hell, hats off to you anyway! Charming story and really groovy track.

Taxi Cab Confessions - Another good one...really authentic 70s sound to it!

The Knowledge of Engines and Cars - Love the chorus. Tasty guitar solo too. Very interesting lyrics. I look forward to hearing the completed piece. Great title too.

• Members

Thanks eeglug...this song has received the nicest comments of the few I have done..glad you went back again...that is a good sign I did something right...or you were so confused ya had to listen again:)

Willows Weeping - An interesting topic treated with real subtlety. It's not often that I come back to a song for its words but you've made me do so here. Nice.

• Members

Willows Weeping

McCartney used that sus4-7 move a lot - I usually associate it with the turnaround from the chorus back into the verse in "For No One" but I'm sure you can find other examples. The rest of the song is a doo-wop (with modulation) and that is not a progression I usually associate with Sir Paul.

Stackabones comment about the strumming pattern resembling the wind through the willows was very interesting and insightful, and once the suggestion had been planted I was unable to visualize the scene any other way.

Lyrics are very nicely done. Not sure about the vocal delivery - it fits the author's voice (in that it is kind of removed and objective) but not the character's voice (wouldn't you be mad if some racists kept you away from your girl?).

Toaster Too Short, Bread Too Tall

:lol: Most excellent! That is a really infectious groove you've got going on that uke. Fortunately, I use my oven to toast bread, so I don't have to worry about whether or not I should get out of bed at all.

• Members

Lyrics are very nicely done. Not sure about the vocal delivery - it fits the author's voice (in that it is kind of removed and objective) but not the character's voice (wouldn't you be mad if some racists kept you away from your girl?).

Not mad...Pensive or reflective about the situation though would be how I would feel....hence that delivery.

Archived