Need advice on writing an instrumental song :P

Lemonz

• Members

Hey there, recently I got a program to record and together music tracks, I'm also hoping to be in a band soon (when I get to college in September 2009). So I figure that I can get some practice with music making and have some fun whilst I'm at it... But I've just been curious, how should I put the actual song together? I'm using a drum machine for a beat in the background, nothing too fancy, just the same beat repeated throughout the song, then I'm recording a rhythm guitar and then a lead guitar, in that order also :p

So I've just been wondering, does anyone have any tips, tricks or hints? Such as in the order I should record the song in, handy things to do when recording or putting the tracks together...

Please help, deeply appreciated :D

• Members

Well... sounds like a reasonable approach to start off.

I would say that, when you know the structure of the song you're working on, that putting some drum fills in between sections and maybe changing up the beat a little for the chorus or other sections will go a long way to making things feel a little more complete... the same beat all the way through is fine for writing/working things out, but getting the beat to flow along with the music is one of the things that you will need to work with as you grow your recording technique.

• Members

Agree partly with B2B. Have a rough idea of structure. And then try to approximate that via the bass, drums & rhythm guitar/piano.

After that, twiddle around with a melodic passage and watch the song write itself. Your intended structure will disintegrate. And you'll end up with something completely different than what you had wanted.

And it might be pretty good. It might even be better than what you had planned to do.

If it's not, ditch it and start over.

• Members

Hey Lemonz,

Your process will work fairly well as a start, but once you get each part recorded go back and re-record the parts with the new later parts in mind.Specifically, when you recorded your rhythm guitar part, you didn't have a lead guitar part, but now you do, and that should make you play the rhythm part differently. Then with the new rhythm part, maybe you get a more sophisticated idea for your lead line. Doing this over a few iterations will force you to be more creative, will give your song a more integrated feel, and will force you to think more deeply about what you think the song really is.

Good luck.

Archived