Way OT: Quick math q

Chezdon

• Members

Well I did A level maths... I've just totally forgotton it and had a mind blank!!

We've gotta work out costs for something but only have the final figure...

I don't really get your formula either, please explain
:D

X is the cost you are trying to find.

x*.25 is 25% of what the value you are trying to find.

In order to get to 5000 you have to take the original value (x) and add that to the 25% of x

since there is (1) X plus 25% of another X, that leaves you with 1.25X = 5000

Divide 5000 by 1.25 to get your value of X...

• Members

Damn. Make it easy for the dude.

5000 / 1.25 = 4000

You take your final figure and divide by 1+the percentage applied to get to the final figure to get the original amount. Works the same as the formula above, but is much simpler to remember.

yeah but you get into trouble when all you can remember is the cliffs notes version and dont know how to derive the solution to anything anymore :facepalm:

• Members

Damn. Make it easy for the dude.

5000 / 1.25 = 4000

You take your final figure and divide by 1+the percentage applied to get to the final figure to get the original amount. Works the same as the formula above, but is much simpler to remember.

:lol: :lol: :lol: - yea, that's easy - but he asked for explanation and how to get it...that way is much easier to remember...But since he's doing it for work, he needs to understand what the "F" he is doing in my opinion :cool:

• Members

its basic first-year algebra i didnt know it needed to be spelled out
:freak:

This.

FWIW i learned this stuff in 7th grade, and that was 15 years ago? If you are working around this stuff, it's really something you should understand and know how you are coming up with that number...Otherwise you'll never understand why or when you are wrong if you come up with the wrong figure :idk:

• Members

X is the cost you are trying to find.

x*.25 is 25% of what the value you are trying to find.

In order to get to 5000 you have to take the original value (x) and add that to the 25% of x

since there is (1) X plus 25% of another X, that leaves you with 1.25X = 5000

Divide 5000 by 1.25 to get your value of X...

Been about 8 years since I've done this. I could work it out on my own but I'm under pressure here! Thanks ztevin, more than helpful. Unlike that pompous {censored} jnmartin.

• Members

OK 5000 is the final, right?

So 5000 is 125% of whatever the figure was. 125% can also be expressed as a decimal as 1.25

So if I had a figure and wanted to add 25%, I would multiply it by 1.25. That would tell me what 1.25 or 125% of a figure is.

So this works for any percentage. 1. whatever % increase.

So your sum is 5000 / 1.25 to get the reverse = 4000

• Members

Been about 8 years since I've done this. I could work it out on my own but I'm under pressure here! Thanks ztevin, more than helpful.
Unlike that pompous {censored} jnmartin.

:lol:

Go home and cry yourself to sleep tonight because you aren't qualified for your job. :cop:

Nothing pompous about what I wrote, if you can't divide two numbers you need to be flipping burgers bro. I took algebra back in 1996 and I can still remember it just fine.

• Members

Ok - my job doesn't centre around maths this is a one off. Just go spout your holier than thou {censored} elsewhere.

I had a choice - come here and get an answer in 5 minutes whilst doing other work or sit down ignoring my clients and working it out. I took the lazy option.

Thank you to everyone else for explaining.

• Members

Ok - my job doesn't centre around maths this is a one off. Just go spout your holier than thou {censored} elsewhere.

I had a choice - come here and get an answer in 5 minutes whilst doing other work or sit down ignoring my clients and working it out. I took the lazy option.

Thank you to everyone else for explaining.

No need to be so hostile, he was trying to help.

• Members

yeah but you get into trouble when all you can remember is the cliffs notes version and dont know how to derive the solution to anything anymore
:facepalm:

No, I understand that. It sounded like he wanted a quick answer, not a math lesson, so I thought just giving him the quick answer would be the best route. But you are correct, it is good to know the logic behind it.

• Members

You failed, right? I mean, really, really horribly failed.

Well I got a D. so A, B, C, D then E.

Not the best... :D

I was good at maths - sitting at a desk for 5 years combined with not using any algebra since then has caused me to forget! Jeez.

I'm sure there's things in school you've forgotten...

As I said - it's coming back to me now, I just haven't used it in so long.

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU