help identify my plagurism

wwwjd

• Members

new one I'm working on. planned to sound very common and approachable, with some retro on top. it's an overused chord phrasing, I know, but can you tell me if it sounds exactly like anything else? Post the names of all the songs you can thing of that it could sound like. So I can make it NOT sound like them.

Please ignore the mix and all that, it was a quick draft I just banged out

My first thought is: GoGo's We Got The Beat.

Anything else out there? Thanks!

• Members

Even if you hadn't mentioned WGtB, I would have tumbled to it. But I don't think that's a deal killer, because I'd more or less forgotten WGtB by a couple lines in. So you get some familiarity momentum without necessarily being totally tied to the earlier work.

Now, I have to say I wasn't really won over until the last two lines of the snippet you have here. It was that little twist that made me think, oh wait, maybe I don't know what this song's about, after all.

If you can keep up that spirit of cheeky insouciance (is that redundant?) through the whole affair, you might just end up with something pretty irresistible here.

• Members

jeez man! I had to LOOK UP the word "Insouciance"! hahahaha but it fits perfectly. Learned something new. I'd say that one word definitely defines the feel I'm going for, so I guess that is a win already. the clip is just the intro.

but, what else uses that verse chording? doesn't every song from 50's rock do that or am I thinking of other phrasings? I just don't wanna finish the tune and have a buddy say, "Dude, that sounds exactly like _________ song, by Buddy G and the Hoppers"

SOMEONE PLAY IT INTO YOUR iPHONE and tell me what it thinks it is. I'm iPhoneless

• Members

Oh... I'm so old everything sounds like everything else.

I'll say one thing: I'm always more worried about sounding like something current than something old. Know what I mean? Stealing from the past? That's class. Stealing from your contemporaries: that's just crass.

Insouciance is a great word but hard to get away with using without sounding like an effete, intellectual snob.

I've always had a thing about collecting words... but now that I can look them up as soon as I see them (I use the Answers.com add-in for Firefox which lets you highlight a word and then send it to any of a number of search engines and referece searches, dictionaries, thesauri, and, of course, the font of all knowledge, Wikipedia ;) )... I can actually use them correctly. :D(Spell-check in FireFox is also a blessing but it's been dicey in FF3. BTW, the new IE, IE8, has "accelerators" which operate similarly to the Answers.com toolbar search thing. Highlight a word and you have a customizable right-click menu where you can send the higlighted word for look-up. For instance, I just mispelled effete above.)

I like the iPhone idea -- but I'm pretty sure there's a regular online, browser-based service that does the same thing.

• Members

hmmm yeah... it's kind of a nod to the past type song- mostly the past's fun energy and happy feel overall.

I'll see if I can find something online. That would be a major saviour in our line of writing!! :D

• Members

It's a V-IV-I progression (in E) with a 4/4 bass line - since no one has called foul on the first million songs with these characteristics I don't see why anyone would complain now. :)

If you are concerned about "We Got the Beat" in particular that song is in Eb and the bass line is not a straight 4/4, so I think you are safe on that front.

Finish your song with a clear conscience.

• Members

I am not a lawyer but I am fairly certain that chord progressions are not subject to copyright. Melodies and lyrics are the only thing you can copyright. As long as the melody is not the same (or eerily close, which takes a court to decide) you can write songs actaully based on someone else's chord progression. Think of Leon Russell writing This Masquerade based on the chord progression from Matt Denis' Angel Eyes. As a separate problem, you can have an entirely different chord progression, BUT if your melody is the same as someone else's song you have violated their copyright. The melody is the thing (and the lyrics of course).

• Members

yeah... ok... so... I can't find any software online that identifies songs. And I guess iPhone only does commercial stuff, not home recorded stuff. Anyone else think this snippet sounds like some other specific song or songs?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

WIPEOUT! That is the song and feel I've twisted into my own perverse design. And with good reason. That is the sort of feel I was seeking to add words to, and keep the jam the at that level. The notes and flow kinda follow Wipeout, although side by side it's obvious they are different enough to not be a complete rip off. That was never my intention. I just flowed with the song as it presented itself.

NOW you will notice the resembelence I bet :)

• Members

WIPEOUT! That is the song and feel I've twisted into my own perverse design. And with good reason. That is the sort of feel I was seeking to add words to, and keep the jam the at that level. The notes and flow kinda follow Wipeout, although side by side it's obvious they are different enough to not be a complete rip off. That was never my intention. I just flowed with the song as it presented itself.

NOW you will notice the resembelence I bet
:)

SUre, there's a passing nod to "We Got the Beat." But it sounds fine to me. Think you're being too introspective. And most stuff sounds like something else.

Archived