Getting the warmth out of a Roland Jazz Chorus 120

petejt

• Members

The Roland Jazz Chorus 120 is a solid-state amp, and many claim it does not have that warmth. It's touted as the ultra-clean sterile solid-state sound, and nothing else.

Well, n:o:obs, there's a trick to getting warmth out of it :poke:

Use BOTH channels! :cop:

haha lol just stirrin' ;) . Yes you really can get warmth out of this amp, to give depth to the clean tone while still retaining that ringy brightness.

The trick is to split your signal so you can plug into both channels. Use any stereo pedal, and switch it off.

Set Channel 1 quite dark. Set Channel 2 fairly bright, especially with the mids set rather low. You'll be fattening & warming it up by mixing together the Channels with their respective Volume controls. Set both volume controls as equal as possible, and adjust to taste- Channel 1 louder for more warmth, Channel 2 for more brightness.

I made a demo video last night. I plan to record this properly in the future, once I can get some microphones, a new Firewire thingamajig, and another computer.

It helps too if you put a chorus pedal in front of Channel 1, on a very slow Speed.

I used my Visual Sound H2O Liquid Chorus & Echo.

And of course I embellished it more by chucking in my Deluxe Electric Mistress in front of all of it...

There's annotations containing the settings.

[YOUTUBE]8HCqLRNQW-g[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

OK I'm on my way downstairs to try that with mine. Well, actually I'm gonna use 2 different distortion pedals after I split the guitar signal and blend them together. I actually think dirt pedals into a JC120 sucks ass but running 2 differently voiced dirt boxes might be kinda cool.

Thanks for the tip.

• Members

OK I'm on my way downstairs to try that with mine. Well, actually I'm gonna use 2 different distortion pedals after I split the guitar signal and blend them together. I actually think dirt pedals into a JC120 sucks ass but running 2 differently voiced dirt boxes might be kinda cool.

Thanks for the tip.

Depends on the "dirt" pedal. Barber Direct Drive and Sansamp GT2 work pretty well, as well as a tubescreamer.

• Members

sounds good.... can you make a video with no chorus?

Yep probably in the next few days I'll make another video, and yep I'll do it without any effects at all except for some reverb, and then with just the in-built chorus switched on. No external chorus or flanger pedals.

I'll record a loop and let it play through the amp while I show each channel separately and then mixed together, with both the in-built chorus on and off.

• Members

Thanks
:thu:

Yep probably in the next few days I'll make another video, and yep I'll do it without any effects at all except for some reverb, and then with just the in-built chorus switched on. No external chorus or flanger pedals.

I'll record a loop and let it play through the amp while I show each channel separately and then mixed together, with both the in-built chorus on and off.

why would you use an external chorus with a JC? They are world renowned for their chorus. As for getting a warm sound, you are correct, they are definitely capable of it. I was at SIR studios a few years ago watching a Columbia artist at rehearsal and her guitar player was using on with some BOSS pedals and dude had some serious tone. It was amazing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

why would you use an external chorus with a JC? They are world renowned for their chorus. As for getting a warm sound, you are correct, they are definitely capable of it. I was at SIR studios a few years ago watching a Columbia artist at rehearsal and her guitar player was using on with some BOSS pedals and dude had some serious tone. It was amazing.

Channel One does not have chorus.

Archived