Was Chuck Schuldiner gay?

thinkpad20

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

hmmm...was he a self hater?

I'm surprised he wasn't crucified for that line...

It's from their first album; probably written in the early 80s when "faggot" wasn't such a buzzword... alternatively it could indicate either homophobia or self-hating (a la American Beauty) as you mention...

But yeah that line has always puzzled me, considering that Chuck was always known for being incredibly nice, laid back and kind. I have trouble imagining that he was actually homophobic in real life.

• Members

It's from their first album; probably written in the early 80s when "faggot" wasn't such a buzzword... alternatively it could indicate either homophobia or self-hating (a la American Beauty) as you mention...

But yeah that line has always puzzled me, considering that Chuck was always known for being incredibly nice, laid back and kind. I have trouble imagining that he was actually homophobic in real life.

Considering how young he was when he wrote it, honestly it might not mean a damn thing save for a generic insult directed at whomever that song's about, considering how that word gets tossed about among young men- especially back in the '80s when I would suspect people were a little less conscious of or sensitive toward the use of that. :idk:

• Members

It's not just the lisp... Mike Tyson had a lisp. It's the cadence of his voice, the physical mannerisms. To me it reminds me of how a lot of my gay friends act... but sure could likely be pure coincidence.

im pretty sure most people didnt call Tyson on the lisp haha :cop:

• Members

Purely out of interest. I like it when people break the mold of the metal stereotype. Just like I like the fact that Suffocation has two black dudes in it, and I was excited to see that The Faceless had a black guitarist. I like that Gorod (used to) have a female drummer, etc. The metal world is overwhelmed by straight white men.
:cop:

The metal world is overwhelmed by white men, yes. :poke:

• Members

Purely out of interest. I like it when people break the mold of the metal stereotype. Just like I like the fact that Suffocation has two black dudes in it, and I was excited to see that The Faceless had a black guitarist. I like that Gorod (used to) have a female drummer, etc. The metal world is overwhelmed by straight white men.
:cop:

i know what you are talking about.

i love it when i see any non-white death metal musician.

black death metal vocalists are usually fucking evil as ballz sounding.

• Members

nah nah nah

this rumor was probably started by some kid in a Celtic Frost shirt who checks blabbermouth every 30 minutes to see the latest on Metallica...Lars buying art..and to see what Dave Mustaine ate.. who he kicked out of megadeth this week. to see who hes gonna badmouth next.. and what addiction hes gonna kick next..

gawd..

and just to think the father of Death Metal had a lisp..

That means you perfectly speakin people are gonna have to step it up a little bit.

• Members

i know what you are talking about.

i love it when i see any non-white death metal musician.

black death metal vocalists are usually {censored}ing evil as ballz sounding.

haha, what??

You love it whenever you see a non-white death metal musician?

Im gonna go out on a limb here and say I really have never cared AT ALL what someone's race is when it comes to music.. If I like it, I like it.. I dont say "OOh, he's black, I love it and he's evil as bawlz" hahahahah How stupid..

I'll let Thinkpad20 slide on this one, becasue I think he meant its good to see people other than whites have interest in Death metal, even though who really cares on that either.. But black death metal guys sound evil as bawllz!!!??/ Hahah THats just making me laugh... In fact the only 2 I can think of, kinda suck. But I dont blame it on them being black, I blame it on the fact they suck...

• Members

I remember he sounds really...really..really gay when he talks.

My gut says yes. Not literally. Either way its all good.

I always wondered if Randy Rhoades was. I heard him speak and I thought he was for sure. I know that he had Girlfriends but so did Freddy Mercury...

Makes no difference to me in the end

• Members

haha, what??

Im gonna go out on a limb here and say I really have never cared AT ALL what someone's race is when it comes to music.. If I like it, I like it.. I dont say "OOh, he's black, I love it and he's evil as bawlz" hahahahah How stupid..

I'll let Thinkpad20 slide on this one, becasue I think he meant its good to see people other than whites have interest in Death metal, even though who really cares on that either.. But black death metal guys sound evil as bawllz!!!??/ Hahah THats just making me laugh... In fact the only 2 I can think of, kinda suck. But I dont blame it on them being black, I blame it on the fact they suck...

It's purely a matter of interest. I don't think being black makes Terrance Hobbs or Mike Smith any more or less badass, but it makes them more interesting, just because they break the mold like I said. It doesn't particularly matter to me, race, gender, orientation, whatever... but anybody who's outside of the normal stereotype is interesting to me. Just like I'm interested in bands from weird places, and whatnot. Of course, if their music sucks, it sucks... but Chuck's music didn't suck so that's a moot point. ;)

• Members

haha, what??

okay...

have fun with that.

im simply saying its exciting to see someone who is usually not interested in such music to be participating in it.

it feels more communal to me.

i simply get tired of seeing the same huge white guy with a shaved head and a goatee.

well, im simply saying that from my experience i like a lot of black death metal vocalists.

their race will affect how they sound.

thats true.

its the same in singing.

maybe you do not agree, its something i simply have noticed.

no white woman will ever sound like aretha franklin.

:love:

• Members

Weird mysterious post that dissapeared... where did it go... why did you fly away?

I find that in itself racist!

IMO, Derrick Green was a terrible frontman. He couldn't do the vocal and that was 90% of Sepultura's rapid decline! And yep, sorry I will fully say 90% of black metal vocalists I've heard have just been {censored}.

Same as I think 90% of white rappers I've heard sound histerical. They just don't have that attitude that most black rappers do.

Saying someone is fantastic because of their race is just stupid in itself. Being all interested in someone because they're black and play metal guitar, would it be easier if we caged them for you so you could poke them with a stick?

I do of course think Suffocation is an excellent band! I don't think said guitarists are the best in the world, but they certainly have the passion which is the whole idea! But I'm not interestd simply because they're black, like you seem to be!

Really, grow the {censored} up, man!

Archived