Songwriting Challenge 19 - Movie Scene Soundtrack - The Reveal

rsadasiv

• Members

I dig it man, I dunno what the details of your competition were, but this is very cool, very interesting stuff. Its a cool concept, putting poetry with music. I like this alot more than most the rap or hiphop i hear today. Props. I do have to say though, it is pretty long, heheh.

• Members

There was an alley behind my apartment where all the kids of the neighborhood hung out, it being the middle of summer vacation from the brown ridiculous schoolyards and absurd yellow buses. Streetside daycare was the way of the neighborhood, single parents sleeping off their dead end jobs and getting the kids out of the bedroom,

• Members

I like it. Musically, it's a bit repetitive, but the lyrics are vivid enough that it doesn't feel like a long song.

I actually really liked the idea of this month's challenge and wanted to try it, but ran out of time before I could come up with something worthy.

• Members

Sorry Ram, I meant to jump in on this one, but life got real a couple weeks ago, and I didn't have the time to commit (again)...

I dig the tune, although it's almost more of a chapter than a song. Still, I love the city vibe, and the hope. Temporary hero, it's good.

I'll have to move to official 'poser' status for a while. I really enjoy this forum and the challenges, but I may be sporadic for a bit. Gotta look after the loved ones for now.

• Members

Thanks for the feedback guys!

This soundtrack stuff is a completely different mindset, and frankly, I was not really up to the task. I had about 3 minutes worth of musical ideas down, which usually will get me through one of these things, except that when I finally got around to reading the script I realized that I would need to fill about 15 minutes of space if I was going to cover the whole scene. :eek:

The text itself is a story I wrote 20 years ago - it's a pretty realistic representation of the apartment I had my junior year in college. I haven't been back there in years, but I sometimes wonder how John, Neri and SilkieRaquel turned out.

• Members

Pretty great delivery. Reminds me of the geat pre-hip hop rap/raconteurs like Gil Scott-Heron -- or in a funny way maybe even more like Linton Kwesi Johnson. I haven't had a chance to sit down with the text yet, I've been listening as I move around the flat. I think you've got the vocal parked pretty good, level-wise. You can make it out but it's just submerged enough to draw you in and not so loud that it means you'll probably listen once for the story and figure that's it. The backtracks themselves have a real nice, loose-limbed but kinda spiky funkiness that works well to counterpoint the words.

I'd say you're definitely number one this month.

;)

• Members

For a guy who tends not to be words-centric, it's a lot for me to digest LOL. But you do a good job and your recitation is just right. The backing tracks have the right amount of variation without detracting from the narration. It's a really interesting work worth a closer listen.

Archived