Drawing inspiration

• Members

Hi all.

I'm looking for help looking for inspiration, i love power metal and really want to write it (even if it's not for the band I'm in now)

I need some ideas for where i can get some ideas (i.e. vocabulary, scheme, structure)

More melodic stuff like Stratovarius, Rhapsody and such

so what bands or songs should i listen to in order to get a feel for the genre and an idea of what to write like?

• Members

Hi all.

I'm looking for help looking for inspiration, i love power metal and really want to write it (even if it's not for the band I'm in now)

I need some ideas for where i can get some ideas (i.e. vocabulary, scheme, structure)

More melodic stuff like Stratovarius, Rhapsody and such

so what bands or songs should i listen to in order to get a feel for the genre and an idea of what to write like?

Okay man, I don't want to sound harsh, but I'm confused.

First, I don't even know what the hell power metal is, as a genre or whatever. But, if you say you want to write a certain genre, you should know that genre on your own, and what bands are in and it sounds like, without having to ask. If you can't do that, you're faking it at best, and at worst, being inauthentic, posing, etc....long story short, I can't figure out why you say you love power metal, but are asking us what bands to look into. Shouldn't you know what you like and what defines the genre to you?

So, listen to the music of power metal bands that you like a lot, and listen to it again. Then again. Learn your favorite songs by these bands. Get to know their structure and composition inside and out. Then record what comes out of you. Rewrite. Rethink. Repeat.

You'll be well on your way then.

Archived