Shuguang tube-12AX7, 12AX7A,12AX7B, what different??????

munky16

• Members

I am looking for some C9 preamp tube now.

I heard everyone are talking aBout 9th gen. So, the 12ax7B is 8th gen? 12ax7A is 9th gen??

How about 12AX7???

I checked some chinese web pages. They said 12AX7B is the better design than 12AX7, 12AX7A. WTF!!!!:mad:

AHahahahahaha...........

It drives me crazy!

Anyone can help, please!!!!!!

• Members

The 12AX7B are 9th gen. A 12AX7A can be 8th gen or 9th gen.

These are the 8th gen tubes that I've had. Note the two spacers at the top, the first one round:

8thgen.gif

This is what the 9th gen tubes look like that I've had. Note the octagonal shaped spacer (first of the two at the top). It's not that clear in this pic, but you can see the difference easily in person:

9thgen.jpg

At the time they first came out, everyone said the 9th gen was higher gain than the 8th gen.

The 8th gen I've bought are a little larger than the 9th gen as far as the tube itself. Doug over at Doug's tubes say they pretty much sound the same and have the same gain. I haven't done any kind of A/B test, but they both sound pretty good to me. On my tube testers the 9th gen tubes test about 5%-10% stronger than the 8th gen (but the 8th gen tubes test plenty strong).

Just from what I've seen, if you have one labeled with a B you're pretty sure it's 9th gen, but otherwise if they're not labeled you have to look at the spacers on the tubes to see what you've got. Of course you could just order from Dougs Tubes or KCA NOS Tubes, or some other reputable place, and tell them you want 9th gen.

• Members

The B's used to have shiny plates , but I think they have gone back to the gray plates from what I hear. The B's are supposed to have more gain, but I found them brighter than the A's which I didn't like.

• Members

The 12AX7B are 9th gen. A 12AX7A can be 8th gen or 9th gen.

These are the 8th gen tubes that I've had. Note the two spacers at the top, the first one round:

8thgen.gif

This is what the 9th gen tubes look like that I've had. Note the octagonal shaped spacer (first of the two at the top). It's not that clear in this pic, but you can see the difference easily in person:

9thgen.jpg

At the time they first came out, everyone said the 9th gen was higher gain than the 8th gen.

The 8th gen I've bought are a little larger than the 9th gen as far as the tube itself. Doug over at Doug's tubes say they pretty much sound the same and have the same gain. I haven't done any kind of A/B test, but they both sound pretty good to me. On my tube testers the 9th gen tubes test about 5%-10% stronger than the 8th gen (but the 8th gen tubes test plenty strong).

Just from what I've seen, if you have one labeled with a B you're pretty sure it's 9th gen, but otherwise if they're not labeled you have to look at the spacers on the tubes to see what you've got. Of course you could just order from Dougs Tubes or KCA NOS Tubes, or some other reputable place, and tell them you want 9th gen.

Yeah man, i can clearly see the different between these two, nice explaining

• Members

See if you can find the older late 80's early 90's Bejing 12AX7's...

In my opinion, they are MUCH superior to 8th - 9th or any others...

They have a square getter in the top and also have tho round spacers.

Keith

Actually, i am a chinese, my home town is Beijing.

I am studying music production in london now.

During the easter holiday, maybe i will go back to discover it.

BTW, thx man!

• Members

I have been totally wondering about this topic myself. For some reason 9th gen tubes are pretty hard to come by. Doug is even out of them. I think he told me the Ruby's were the same? Can anyone confirm this? Where can you get the octo TRUE 9th gen tubes at? Please link if possible. Thank you.

• Members

I am looking for some C9 preamp tube now.

I heard everyone are talking aBout 9th gen. So, the 12ax7B is 8th gen? 12ax7A is 9th gen??

How about 12AX7???

I checked some chinese web pages. They said 12AX7B is the better design than 12AX7, 12AX7A. WTF!!!!
:mad:

AHahahahahaha...........

It drives me crazy!

Anyone can help, please!!!!!!

12AX7-plain old preamp tube

12AX7A- preamp tube with eggroll

12AX7B- preamp tube with flied lice.

• Members

I have been totally wondering about this topic myself. For some reason 9th gen tubes are pretty hard to come by. Doug is even out of them. I think he told me the Ruby's were the same? Can anyone confirm this? Where can you get the octo TRUE 9th gen tubes at? Please link if possible. Thank you.

I am not sure you can use your credit card on this website. But, it seems still got tons of stocks in China.

http://search1.taobao.com/browse/0/n-g,zlx3tyragezgc6bx-------2-------b--40--commend-0-all-0.htm?at_topsearch=1&ssid=s1-e

If a lot of people really want them, i will think about buy some when i going back, and sell to you guys.

But i am not do it for the money.:p

• Members

Ok, I got the official expalining for these lables!

"??12AX7??12AX7,12AX7B?12AX7M???12AX7B????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????"

It means, shuguang 12AX7 was divided in to 12ax7, 12ax7b and 12ax7m these three types. I think 12ax7a just an OEM lable for the export products, maybe tempory label! And the 12ax7b is the newest product line with the better design.(As known as the 9th gen)

So question is answered ! Thx you guys!

Archived