Sunday Jam ( A tribute to Roy Buchanan)

Boydog

• Members

The lead guitar is pretty good. The solo could be a tightened up a little (compositionally - the playing is tight enough). Some of the licks seem to be in there just because they are blues licks, not because they further the song in any particular way. The tone is a little rougher than I usually associate with Roy Buchanan.

I didn't get a groove from the backing track at all - if those are real humans they sound bored out of their skulls.

• Members

The horns give a real nice vibe, but the rhythm section is a little bit sleepy as rsadasiv pointed out. A little variation with some ghost hits on the snare or a tight little fill would give it some life...or the bass line adding a couple of notes here and there would also work well.

I must confess that I don't know Buchanan's work...he was just featured in Guitar Player magazine and as I read the article on him I was thinking, "man, I need to track down some of his stuff and give it a listen...sounds like music I would really enjoy." I've heard people speak of him with great reverence over the years, but I've never checked him out for myself. Maybe I'll go see if I can add him to my Jango station. :)

• Members

I must confess that I don't know Buchanan's work...he was just featured in Guitar Player magazine and as I read the article on him I was thinking, "man, I need to track down some of his stuff and give it a listen...sounds like music I would really enjoy." I've heard people speak of him with great reverence over the years, but I've never checked him out for myself. Maybe I'll go see if I can add him to my Jango station.
:)

You should definitely check him out - he's a local legend for us ;). And if you don't know Danny Gatton (who also came to a sad end :() try adding him to your Jango station as well.

• Members

Danny Gatton is one of my all-time favorites. I have pretty much everything he ever did on CD. I saw him at the Birchmere shortly before his tragic death and was even more blown away than I expected to be. I took my little brother to that show and it inspired him to pick up the guitar...pretty cool. I did add Mr. Buchanan to my Jango list today. I may go hunt down some youtube clips of him now.

• Members

The lead guitar is pretty good. The solo could be a tightened up a little (compositionally - the playing is tight enough). Some of the licks seem to be in there just because they are blues licks, not because they further the song in any particular way. The tone is a little rougher than I usually associate with Roy Buchanan.

I didn't get a groove from the backing track at all - if those are real humans they sound bored out of their skulls.

+1 man I gotta learn to do multi quotes..

keep in mind I'm not going for a Buchanan sound on this, it's more or less an attempt to show my gratitude for his influence.

the backing track is totally "non human" and like you say it's more than a little lacking.

I'm still continuing to work on it, maybe try and pipe in some dynamics here and there and am thinking of completely reworking the lead as well. Just seems a little thin to me so thought I'd throw it out here and see what input I can get for betterment.

thanks guys

• Members

You should definitely check him out - he's a local legend for us
;)
. And if you don't know Danny Gatton (who also came to a sad end
:(
) try adding him to your Jango station as well.

+1 for Gatton as well,,was an unbeliveable guitarist,, he and Roy Clark remind me a lot of each other in certain ways.

Archived