Does this make any sense?

Sam McDonald

• Members

Hi, I played this for a friend recently who, when I'd finished, asked "What was that? (it didn't sound complmentary) I then realized that I didn't really know exactly what it was about! It could well be, to quote Neil Young, "A Piece Of Crap"

So, I post it here to ask, does it make sense to you?

Also, have you ever written something only to find out that you don't really know what it means?

The Bottle's Empty

The bottle

• Members

With the right music/melody, this might sort of transcend a certain elemental predictability in the lyrics...

Assuming it feels like it means something to you, I think you might be able to draw on that feeling to find music and melody (and, implicitly, performance) that makes it sound like it means what you feel like it means.

Like CM suggests, it would likely become stronger with a little less predictability in the lyric... you can kind of feel a fair bit coming. But, then, with the right music/performance, that can get a kind of synergistic transcendence going.

Find what the song seems to mean to you and go with that...

• Members

Thankyou CM & B2B for your comments, and yes, I know your right it is a bit cliche laden. The curse of something that comes along in about 5 mins I guess. I'm afraid it's probabily true of the melody as well, doesn't sound exactly original to me now!

As for what it all means?, I think it's just a little take on several differant things all at once, which means it will be quite difficult to pull it into something cohesive. But I think I'm starting to waffle now so I'll shut up!

I've put a rough demo together, so let me know if you think there's anything worth salvaging.

http://www.soundclick.com/sammcdonald

Archived