Seems like I only write sad songs..

WinosaurJR

• Members

Well, I personally value the quality of lyrics, and I'd rather not write around melodies at the moment, because that isn't my strongpoint. I like to focus on the lyrics and have a nice balance, because I'd like the songs to be an all-around balanced song with more than one riff, hook, or chorus to listen to it for. The singing part is probably the easiest, if I can come up with a nice vocal melody. The melody part is hard, because I have few recordable instruments to even MAKE any music with yet. I'm a bit screwed.

Don't worry, though, I'm confident in the lyrics of the two songs, and I think they're strong on their own.

• Members

Well, I personally value the quality of lyrics, and I'd rather not write around melodies at the moment, because that isn't my strongpoint. I like to focus on the lyrics and have a nice balance, because I'd like the songs to be an all-around balanced song with more than one riff, hook, or chorus to listen to it for. The singing part is probably the easiest, if I can come up with a nice vocal melody. The melody part is hard, because I have few recordable instruments to even MAKE any music with yet. I'm a bit screwed.

Don't worry, though, I'm confident in the lyrics of the two songs, and I think they're strong on their own.

I understand, you should focus on where you are strong..

but, lets say you take the most pointless meaningless lyrics in the world and concoct and ingenious vocal pattern for them.. noone will care what you said, because they'll have the dang melody stuck in their heads.

I think lyrics need meaning, but you shouldn't dig too deep trying to write something specific. Like you said, you need a "balance" with a melody that is at least as good as your lyrics are. If your just writing songs for artistic value.. then focusing on lyrics first might be the right way for you to go.. If you want people to notice them, I would suggest trying to forge melodies as you write or at least hear what you think it might sound like in your head as you write down the words. I usually have to go back and change lyrics, because I come up with a vocal melody and rythmn that just is too good to not use. Doesn't usually change the meaning of the song, just the arrangement of the words.

People write songs in different ways.

• Members

SONGS are built around melody and hooks imho.. Poems are built around word only.. The SONG has to grab you and drag you in and make you care about what it is saying .. Otherwise the lyrics are just wallpaper..

Its the melody and structure that create feelings of sadness or happines or rowdines.. And then if you can inject SEX into it you are golden lol. You have to make someone care enough to ACTUALLY PAY ATTENTION to what the lyrics are saying

• Members

There's an Austin songwriter, named Slaid Cleaves, who writes nothing but sad songs. Every song on every album, nearly, is a sad story of some sort. He said he used to try to write different stuff, but eventually just went with what came naturally.

He's not popular, particularly. Certainly not burning up the charts, and I've read that he does time as a pharmaceutical test subject to make some extra bucks. But...I think he's good, and he is making a living at it. Sorta.

He's a good alt country writer. Check him out.

• Members

SONGS are built around melody and hooks imho.. Poems are built around word only.. The SONG has to grab you and drag you in and make you care about what it is saying .. Otherwise the lyrics are just wallpaper..

Its the melody and structure that create feelings of sadness or happines or rowdines.. And then if you can inject SEX into it you are golden lol. You have to make someone care enough to ACTUALLY PAY ATTENTION to what the lyrics are saying

+1

Archived