Friday Influences Thread 07.03.09

• Members

What has influenced you in the past ... or since the last FIT?

I first saw Joe Tucker several years ago at a pivotal point in my life. I was in a local country "band" (singer's name in the marquee, band invisible) and had just played one of those Colgate (yeah, the toothpaste) country competitions at the high school in Mexia, Texas.

Mexia is one of those countless Texas towns where Brown v Board of Education never really took: the railroad tracks are still a border between one side of town and the other, and no one crosses the tracks. Mexia ain't really on the way to anywhere in particular -- you've got to go out of your way to go there. I will always remember it for this country competition and for being the first place I ever ate fried pickles.

After the performance in the venerable Mexia High School Auditorium, me and a buddy drove back to Dallas. We decided to stop at a little bar just outside Deep Ellum called The Elbow Room. As we were enjoying our second or third Lone Star, Joe Tucker comes in: loading in his PA and his drum kit and amp and guitar. Black hat perched on top of head, he's sweating from the Texas summer. My buddy and me were getting ready to leave, but we thought we'd listen to a few songs before heading back to our suburban toothbrushes. We stayed till the bar closed.

While listening to Joe, I reflected on my experience in Mexia and realized that I didn't want to be in a band anymore. I didn't want to play toothpaste competitions and lose to 14 year old girls (not so bad for the band, but not a career builder for the singer who was on the backside of his 30s). I quit the band the day after my hangover and that week I got my first solo gig playing guitar and singing.

[YOUTUBE]Dn03q2bjLB0[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Here is a one man band from my home town. His name is Mike Hosty and he has been the face of the norman music scene for a long long looooong time. Though he hasn't had great success going big, this song was written by him and Stoney LaRou took it to the big time.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Here is a one man band from my home town. His name is Mike Hosty and he has been the face of the norman music scene for a long long looooong time. Though he hasn't had great success going big

IMO it's actually a pretty significant achievement to be the face of anytown's music scene. Local performers/artists are essentially running small businesses, not global corporations. While McDonald's may be all over the world, I know a local burger joint that runs circles around them. Everyone knows that if that local burger joint goes global, then it wouldn't be the same.

• Members

IMO it's actually a pretty significant achievement to be the face of anytown's music scene. Local performers/artists are essentially running small businesses, not global corporations. While McDonald's may be all over the world, I know a local burger joint that runs circles around them. Everyone knows that if that local burger joint goes global, then it wouldn't be the same.

Oh I agree, and that is my goal.. to be appreciated locally. I'm not into the whole chasing fame thing, but I would like to be a part of the culture of my community.. like Hosty is...

The thing with Hosty is that he just doesn't look the part. He has tried to go out and make it big with National tours and he just doesn't get his foot in the door do to the fact that he looks like a nerdy hippy..lol..That's the only reason I brought up success, because I know he is more talented than many of the people on the radio and it's shame that he can't break through.

• Members

Oh I agree, and that is my goal.. to be appreciated locally. I'm not into the whole chasing fame thing, but I would like to be a part of the culture of my community.. like Hosty is...

The thing with Hosty is that he just doesn't look the part. He has tried to go out and make it big with National tours and he just doesn't get his foot in the door do to the fact that he looks like a nerdy hippy..lol..That's the only reason I brought up success, because I know he is more talented than many of the people on the radio and it's shame that he can't break through.

He has broken through, perhaps not to the degree that U2 or IBM or McDonald's has -- but I'd bet that if he's the face of the local scene, then he makes his living doing so and is known for doing so.

To make it big in your scene, or be a part of your community's culture, is still chasing fame. We are often influenced by a notion of making it big or being famous that is only applicable to Elvis or Microsoft.

It's an interesting topic, but I'll attempt to avoid further deconstruction of the notion of fame and making it big. I had to study those French theorists and I guess I've been influenced by them, too. :lol:

• Members

He
has
broken through, perhaps not to the degree that U2 or IBM or McDonald's has -- but I'd bet that if he's the face of the local scene, then he makes his living doing so and is known for doing so.

To make it big in your scene, or be a part of your community's culture, is still chasing fame. We are often influenced by a notion of making it big or being famous that is only applicable to Elvis or Microsoft.

It's an interesting topic, but I'll
attempt
to avoid further deconstruction of the notion of fame and making it big. I had to study those French theorists and I guess I've been influenced by them, too.
:lol:

Yeah, he makes his living with music..teaching guitar and playing gigs. it's a beautiful thing.

He has a set gig at the deli every Sunday. The ad reads "get here early, or stand outside." That's about as famous as I would ever want to be:thu:

• Moderators

I missed yesterday. So it's one man band day? The closest we have to that in San Diego is... drum rolllll... MOJO NIXON! Ol' Mojo, though not a friend... I've known him for years on the scene starting in the 80's. A true nut. "Elvis is Everywhere", Tie My Pecker to My Leg", Don Henley Must Die", Mushroom Maniac".

We'd be playing a gig to support our album and he'd open. He'd come out with a Sparklets Bottle and start beating the crap out of it in time. The 1st tune he'd have the crowd in his control. "Mushroom!... MUSHROOM!!!! Maniac!... MANIAC!!!!"

We'd be waiting for him the finish and think, "What, we've got to go out there now?" He played the drummer in the Jerry Lee Lewis movie Great Balls of Fire and went on to be an MTV host for a stint. He once stopped me at the local music store as I left and checked my bag to make sure I hadn't bought a drum machine?!?!?! "Ol' Mojo can't let you leave the premises with no drum machine. Open it up Lee, let me see..." A very cool nut. Now he's hosting a satellite radio show. MOJO!!!

[YOUTUBE]IAoh_yteKkc[/YOUTUBE]

Archived