Alcohol

Nick*

• Members

Been struggling with writing decent songs. Anyways, I put this song together. I guess you can say it's a bit inspired by my current obsession with scotch/whiskey, and small fear of where that can lead. I just put stuff together...I wasn't thinking about verses, choruses and bridges and stuff...kind of just took a free writing approach. Sorry the recording quality isn't so great and there are no drums yet.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=846258&songID=7810179

Lyrics..

I hit the bottle again

I hit it harder than yesterday

I hit the bottle this time

I hit it harder than last night

I hit the bottle till I cry

I hit the bottle till I

• Members

I like the intro a lot, the music and your vocal (though a wee bit wavery, pitch-wise) really go somewhere. When you shift voices and move to a more normal progression, it loses that eeriness that works so well in the intro. (Also, while it's cool that you can get that scratchy, choked up voice, it strikes me as a little bit of a just-cause-you-can-doesn't-mean-you-should sort of thing.)

The words are a little flat-footed. But if I read between the lines and dwell in the mood of the first section, I really feel like you've got a song in this that could be really cool. Now, I wouldn't necessarily try to get arty with the words. (Always a danger when someone suggests your lyrics are 'too prosaic' and such.) But just try to go more inside yourself and find the poetry of drunken fears...

I've written a fair number of songs about drinking and dissolution, before and after I quit drinking (after 20 enthusiastic bottle-diving years) and it can be an important dialog you have with yourself. And can generate some interesting, sometimes deeply moving songs. For me, existential angst, broken hearts, and wasted life all swirled together in a heady brew...

• Members

I like it - the lyrics are simple effective and straight to the point. They are easy to identify with and tell a short story. It has all the ingredients I look for in a song...
:thu:

And ido; another standby to give me a few encouraging words and the thumbs up. I appreciate it.

JimSF76 & Nirvana728 - thanks for the listen guys. The feedback is always appreciated.

• Members

What's this song about? Please don't take this the wrong way, but the way you're singing this in places almost sounds like you're trying to get a laugh? I had a hard time making the words out in the song in a lot of places too :-(

Yikes...Could you be a little more specific about which places? I'm assuming you mean in the higher parts? I'm thinking I may have to clean the rasp up!

• Members

The screamy parts seemed to be sticking out a little bit too much for me. Maybe they need to be more compressed? Vocals are swimming in a sea of reverb too...makes it harder to understand the words...maybe back of the reverb in the softer parts?

• Members

The screamy parts seemed to be sticking out a little bit too much for me. Maybe they need to be more compressed? Vocals are swimming in a sea of reverb too...makes it harder to understand the words...maybe back of the reverb in the softer parts?

Compressing the vocals might make a huge difference...unfortunately I have no idea what that is or how to do it...... :facepalm: Can you recommend a good article/thread on compression so I can get an understanding of what it is?

Thank you

• Members

Hmmm...a quick google search yielded this...

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec00/articles/adcompression.htm

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan01/articles/advanced.asp

Parts 1 and 2 of an article on compression. Good stuff. If you are using a DAW to do your recordings, your sequencing software most likely has a digital compressor program built into it.

• Members

Hmmm...a quick google search yielded this...

Parts 1 and 2 of an article on compression. Good stuff. If you are using a DAW to do your recordings, your sequencing software most likely has a digital compressor program built into it.

I use a Boss Br-900CD for all of my recordings. I'm going to read those links and then search my manual and see what I can do. Thanks a lot.

Archived