New Song Feedback

Dinosaur Sr.

• Members

I have let this song marinate in my brain for a couple weeks now, and I'm pretty sure I'm ready to bring it to a finish, add the vocals, and re-record a couple of parts to tighten it up a bit. It'd be awesome if I could get some feedback on it. Do the tracks sound alright? Does it seem like the recording was done properly? Any tips?

Check it.

Even if you completely hate the song, please let me know. Just want to get some feedback before I button it up.

Edit: Oh, and I know the drums are pretty awful, but it was a first draft. They'll be re-done. And sorry bout the solo - I went a little crazy.

• Members

Aside from the drums, sounds OK to me, let's hear the vocals.

That cymbal crash sticks out like a sore thumb, btw.. I don't mind the snare that much as I hear it in the song, but I can't find the kick. The cymbals do need a change though.

EDIT: Lead -- went crazy, you're not kidding! You will have to tame that because the sense of timing actually does imply a lapse of reason there.

• Members

I like the music, definitely reminiscent of Dino Jr. and I agree that you should play around a bit more with the drums, bring up the kick and to me the snare sounds a little thin. I love to hear some vocals too

Dave

• Members

Drop the cymbal crash, or at least use it more sparingly...distracting.

Nice guitar tone (what are you using?).

If you're using drum loops, I would try adding a second drum loop underneath the snare-heavy one you have to fatten up the bottom end. I've done that before it with the right combination, it can sound really cool (until you have to pull it off live!)

The solo: A simpler solo line would really fit this song. I think it needs to be tightened up -- at least the one that's just kind of going off everywhere -- I do like the line you're using underneath that, though. Maybe harmonize with that.

I can hear this coming from Mascis, easily!

• Members

The lo-fi drums isn't too bad, but yes it need more low end. The fuzz guitar sounds a bit too out of place. The bass needs more sustain. The song needs consistent low end. Yes, the solo starts crazy, but toward the end, you got some nice runs in there. And I think it needs some vocals. But unless the vocals ruin it, it's a pretty good song. It just needs a bit more work.

• Members

Thanks for the tips, guys. Yeah, those drums are pretty grating to my ears, and the crash is pretty thin. Those will be fixed. And I actually wrote the chorus for the song as I was writing it, I'm mostly trying to finish up the verse. As far as the guitar tone, I'm using a ZVex Box of Rock for the majority of it, and I'm using a Superfuzz for the solo section, but there's two solos happening there. I have a newer version of the song than the one on Soundclick that was made a while ago, and that version has a better balance of the two solos, makes it sound less insane. It's got the chorus in it too, but I hate my voice, so I just need to suck it up and post it.

• Members

I don't mind the roominess of the drum sound, I just really miss the kick as others have said.

I didn't really get bothered by the crash, I guess I maybe was making allowance for there being no vocals, I gave it the benefit of the doubt.

I like the song, it has a really upbeat happy having fun on a summer day kind of feel.

One suggestion, the texture of the song seems a little monotone to me, I wonder if there is a place for a part where some or all of the guitar drops out for a bar or two, to open up some space for the drums and bass and just take a little break from the sameness?

Kind of like, toward the end at 3:38, things break down and then the song dwindles away. Maybe there is a place for that kind of breakdown in the middle of the song somewhere. Except the song doesn't dwindle away, it comes back.

• Members

It's fine.. as you mention it is demo you are re-recording I see nothing to complain about.. you could likely just embelish version up a bit.. add the vocals..

I am a broken record on production.. but screw production.. it's what you do last if at all on a song like this.. first and only thing to really worry about from my perspective is does the song work.. it will be more telling once you get everything added.. sounds like you are on the right road to me..

Archived