Thoughts on an arrangement...

toddkuen

• Members

The link:

http://www.just-got-lucky.com/music/VeronaWait.mp3

Background - I have been fooling with this band for about 6 months. Prior to my involvement they had a girl singer doing (or trying to do) the same kind of work as the sax. My job is to make things not sound like a "guitar band" and "bring out the sound" and "fill things up".

The band on this song is 2 guitars, chapman stick, sax, drums. The recording is a live gig off the board onto a Zoom - the sound man isn't a sound man.

Nonetheless - I am looking for comments on the arrangement with regard to the sax, e.g., is there too much, is it boring, to tight a range, etc. I have tried this with a kind of "pop organ" sound as well.

Thanks

• Moderators

I think you need to find a motif to work off of. Something with more rhythmic interest. Listen to what you've played and make note of the rhythm of your line. There isn't a real rhythm hook. I wish there was a way to notate online

l 1/4 rest, 2..., 3,+, 4 ,1/8 rest l Think rhythm motif.

Then melodically, you're mostly playing step motion on a blues scale. Try to find some nice intervals to break it up. I'd think of it more as a horn section part. not that you're a section, but with that sort of mindset, you might come up with something that really brings another element to the tune other than just the sax for color.

Simpler and with purpose. You play well. Now write your part.

And the intro would be nice place to do trills on the tonic. Low note fluttering behind the vocals for atmosphere. Down to the 7th then back up to the tonic... soft and vibey.

Check out an old 80's band called Romeo Void for some cool directions you can take for this type of group.

• Members

Lee - I really appreciate your comments.

Pushing past just playing a simple scale line that sounds "nice" to something more gritty and interesting is really challenging for me. Its easy to get to this point and get lazy.

The Romeo Void sax stuff reminds me of Hall and Oats sax parts - good place to look for ideas.

I'll give these comments some serious thought... :thu:

• Members

Yeah i think lee pretty much said what ya need to hear. But ill concur anyway.

I think you just need to play with the rhythm a bit more. I was fantasizing about staccato too ('ba-ba baah' up through the scale) dunno if that makes scense.

Maybe some quicker legato phrases too. I would recommed listening to Ella fitzgerald doing her scat routines too (weird suggestion?) just to see how she pulls those rhthms around.

Just so ya know ive never touched a saxaphone lol

Cool music though, i wouldnt criticize your playing if i was just listening to it casualy.

Ade

• Members

I've been playing rhythmic stuff on some new songs - trying to work out "simpler and with purpose"...

The tune itself is very cool - one of the guys in the band wrote it.

I think the Chapman stick bass is what really gives it flavor though.

Archived