July 25th.. US-UK collab just finished

333maxwell

• Members

Just finished this one up.. did this one with a young feller over in the UK, Aspiring film maker and soundtrack kinda guy.. he sent me an MP3 of piano and some percussion and I filled in the blanks with Bass, Sax, Guitar, percussions, vocals and some ambient fun..,

Hope it is worth a listen..

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7873144

• Members

There's a lot of cool stuff to like here... but it gets a little over-busy. The vocal and sax expecially fight for space. I'd kind of like to hear a dub without the vocal -- I think it could stand on its own very nicely with just a little rebalancing of the mix. (I think I'd do something about the portamento synth though... it's a bit of a distraction and not very contributory to the otherwise nicely coherent moodiness of things.) All the other musical elements are pretty-to-quite cool, I think.

With re the vocal and its treatment; if one was to keep the vocal -- and it has its own moody quality though it seems so veiled as to be hard to make out the words, which shouldn't be the case with such a prominent track in a relatively open mix [compared the wall of gunk so many folks put in pop music nowadays] -- my suggestion would be to do almost anything different from the shallow, hard tile bathroom ambience of the reverb treatment. Go dry. Go wet. But don't go bathroom. That's just me, maybe.

Anyhow, pretty cool!

:)

• Members

I think a more cavernous, warm reverb would be good for the vocals. The percussion seems a bit tight in a loose song; maybe some spring reverb and/or echo would make it fit in more. The vocals seem a bit lazy and whispered. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's a nice bluesy song overall; quite relaxing.

Archived