Newbie to forum, Newbie to protools, New song for critique?

• Members

Welcome :) Darn you people and your pro tools, if I had money I would buy it.

Ok, listening now. Wow, offhand you sound a lot like the guy who records under the name of Owl City, but this sounds a lot more mature. This is really good man, sounds professionally recorded. You got a great voice on you. I'm very impressed, I don't have any critical comments to give. What sort of recording setup do you have?

• Members

Hi

I have stumbled upon this wonderful and helpful forum

I have been song writing a short while and have just got pro tools (like someone simerlar below i see)

Would love opinions on my first song recorded on it

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=977998&songID=7896673

Hope everyone is well

x

Welcome to the Songwriting Forum.

The basic mission of the forum is the discussion of the art and craft of songwriting and offering assistance with feedback and constructive criticism on new songs and other works in progress. Of course, giving thoughtful comment requires some time and energy.

Like so much in life -- what you get out of it will likely depend on what you put in...

I hope you'll share your insight with others when they're looking for critiques -- it's a great way to let people get to know you. And the more that people know you as someone who is willing to help out, the more eager they'll be to help you when you're looking for some good ol' constructive crit.

:)

blue2blue

moderator, songwriting forum

SW Forum Guidelines and Resources

And now on to the music...

Sounds like you hit the ground running!

This all sounds pretty well glued together. There was something about the very first part of the intro that seemed not the way I would have expected -- the feedback intro seemed a bit tacked on -- but that impression might evaporate when I listen again.

I don't normally give feedback on lyrics unless they're posted somewhere but nothing too bad leaps out at me. A few phrases seem a little shopworn -- the "we all need someone" catalog notably -- but you seem to approach those lyrics with a sort of straightforward sincerity that makes them feel genuine if not necessarily fresh.

One note that I'm sure others have or will bring up that has nothing to do with songwriting: your vocal timbre seems to me strikingly like that of 70s hippie, folkie balladeer Al Stewart. I've always liked Stewart's voice so on that level, I find it quite pleasing... but it's hard for me to shake the sense that I'm hearing an Al Stewart song, and that's a bit of a mixed blessing, of course.

[EDIT: I'll bet that Owl City guy sounds like Al Stewart, too. :D EDIT 2: OR NOT... I just popped Owl City into Rhapsody and his vocals are SO Auto-Tuned there's not much singing left. He does have a voice in that folkie/Brit twee mode maybe down under all that clumsy digital manipulation... but, judas, he's just got so much thoroughly annoying retuning going on as to be unlistenable. His music is cookie cutter downtempo pop, heavy on the pop side. I'm skipping to the next tune -- I can't take these vocals. No... even a simple little folk ditty is retuned to death. Yuck yuck yuck. And the third song sounds like a retread of the first only with more Auto-Tune. Anyhow, stickboy -- I don't think you sound anything like this drek. And I feel fairly certain that maddrummerdude did not have the same nasty reaction to Owl City's pro forma electronica pop and Auto-Tune abuse... er, use. ;)Anyhow, sorry for the negative digression which has nothing to do with you. Sometimes I just hear something that offends me so deeply I can't shut up. And Owl City sure does it to me. But, now, really... back to the much more pleasant task at hand. :D ]

A solid job well done, overall!

maddrummerdude

While a Pro Tools HD system will set you back $10K-$20K, Pro Tools LE and Pro Tools M-Powered (for M-audio products) are pretty affordable. The various Mbox packages top out around $500 including an interface and PT LE, which is not bad, at all, seems to me. And if you only need to mix PT LE projects, you can get a playback only Digi device and PT LE for ~$250, IIRC.

So, don't think you're dealing with some platinum-spending high-flyer there... ;)

• Members

maddrummerdude

While a Pro Tools HD system will set you back $10K-$20K, Pro Tools LE and Pro Tools M-Powered (for M-audio products) are pretty affordable. The various Mbox packages top out around $500 including an interface and PT LE, which is not bad, at all, seems to me. And if you only need to
mix
PT LE projects, you can get a playback only Digi device and PT LE for ~$250, IIRC.

So, don't think you're dealing with some platinum-spending high-flyer there...
;)

It's not that he's that rich, it's that I'm that poor :(

• Members

It's not that he's that rich, it's that I'm that poor
:(

You and me, both, brother. You and me, both. :facepalm:

Maybe we could go out busking together or something... ;)

Hope you don't take my rant about Owl City personally, realize you were just making the same kind of observation about what stickboy's music reminded you of as I was -- although about pretty different music. :D.

I guess it's just that sometimes here in our nurturing environment of the SW Forum, I like to just burst out in negativity about some already made it mainstream artist so that folks will know just how super-critical and judgmental I can be... give them a little perspective. :D

• Members

Thankyou so very much for the kind introduction and for taking the time to write in such detail

I can tell im going to like it here - sometimes when inspiration is low just a few handy pointers and some interest from like minded people can be all it needs to be spurred on

I have never heard the Al Stewert reference before and too be honest obviously know "of" him but don't really know much about his music (im off to listen!)

I'm also on www.myspace.com/stickboyuk should you or anyone else like a further listen

x

• Members

Thankyou so very much for the kind introduction and for taking the time to write in such detail

I can tell im going to like it here - sometimes when inspiration is low just a few handy pointers and some interest from like minded people can be all it needs to be spurred on

I have never heard the Al Stewert reference before and too be honest obviously know "of" him but don't really know much about his music (im off to listen!)

I'm also on
www.myspace.com/stickboyuk
should you or anyone else like a further listen

x

It's not necessarily your music so much as the timbre/color of your voice that made me think of hims so hard.

(And, again, geez, sorry to go off on that Owl City thing. There is just something about the sound of heavy A-T that just puts me in an onerous, gripey, small-minded, mean-spirited mood. It's a bit like fingernails on chalkboards to me... a knee-jerk reaction that sends me out of control. See... here I went again! :D )

• Members

Your song is amazing. And the recording sounded top notch to me. Nice!!! I'd buy this from iTunes for sure.

You sound a bit like Badly Drawn Boy to me. Well, mostly just your voice. And maybe the acoustic guitaring too. And I really like the lyric. We All Need Someone - it works!

• Members

Ahhh thankyou - i have had the badly drawn boy referance before and i guess its because we are both from manchester so it must come accross a little in our accents.

In answer to the mic/pre amp question i simply have an mbox2 running pro tools on a pc with a rode ntk valve mic at the front

x

• Members

Ahhh thankyou - i have had the badly drawn boy referance before and i guess its because we are both from manchester so it must come accross a little in our accents.

In answer to the mic/pre amp question i simply have an mbox2 running pro tools on a pc with a rode ntk valve mic at the front

x

I thought I was detecting some kind of tube warmth there. I have a Rode NT1a, but the NTK would be a nice little upgrade for me...I like the sound of that mic (and you have a very nice voice as well, so that doesn't hurt). :)

• Members

Very good, and very professionally done. As said above, I'd be very proud as well!

Were the drums recorded with the NTK as well? I knew it was a versatile mic, but to get a mix on the drums like that is amazing. Great voice as well. Everything is layered very evenly, and it doesn't sound too 'busy'. I'd buy it from the iTunes store as well.

If you really wanted to, I'm sure Indiefeed (podcast) would be happy to play this song, it's miles better than a lot of the stuff they play.

• Members

well, it's all very well done, and the production is fantastic, but it's kind of boring and flat (not in pitch, but in emotion). you can't go by me, though. i think u2 is boring and flat, and they have more money than god. you'll probably become famous and end up with more money than god. but you'll probably end up like bono and spend it all on horrible sunglasses and anal beads.

• Members

When I mentioned that you reminded me of Owl City, I meant that in the best way possible. I don't like the artist very much at all, but his music is sonically tight, professionally recorded, well constructed, and has good balance between great melodic vocals (even if it is AT'd to {censored}) and some electronic busywork in the background.

However, I LOVE your song, and the aforementioned qualities of your song led me to make the comparison. Like I said, your sound is much more mature and tasteful. I have a strong feeling you're going to go places. BTW, thanks for the myspace add :)

• Members

ahhh thanks man - how do i get on to the indiefeed podcast?

I've never submitted anything to them, but I hope this helps. I am a subscriber to the podcast though, I'd enjoy hearing the song there :)

Just read through your rights etc, I'm not sure what kind of policy they have, but I'm sure it's extremely fair. I've never been involved in podcasting other than listening / subscribing.

http://indiefeed.com/submit-your-music/

EDIT: Addictive Drums, wow! Sounds miles ahead of EZDrummer, of course EZD you can't EQ each bit of the kit seperately with my DAW.

• Members

Loved it! As a metal head I am always impressed when a "soft tune" manages to retain my interest.

One thing that might give this even more edge, would be if you somehwere in the tune went into falsetto or a higher vocal register (or why not invite someone else in to sing a break?) Just a suggestion though - already sounds awesome the way it is! =)

Archived