1st band to use 7 strings ?

EdgeOfDarkness

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

korn was the first band i know of using 7's, they definitely put them on the map, tho i know they were around before then (obviously had to be, or the guys in korn couldn't have bought them)

i've always wondered who were the early metal bands to tune down to B or A on 6 strings tho

• Members

Too bad no one could afford one back then.

Korn is WAY more mainstream with a much bigger impact than Morbid Angel.

Too bad they couldn't hold Trey's jock strap. :lol:

Sorry, but trendy bull{censored} aside, the first "band" I ever saw using 7 strings was Morbid Angel, not Korn. Whether the little teens at the mall agree is not important to me. ;)

8i5LvR5YRcY

• Members
I think the deal was that Vai had the U7 made, and no one bought them. Later, Munky and Head found good deals on em in Bakersfield pawn shops and decided to give em a try, and they dug em.

So while may players have played 7 strings, it was indeed the popularity of Korn that resurrected the Vai 7... IIRC, Ibanez had stopped making them.

"The Maestro Alex Gregory" had Fender make him a 7 string strat earlier than Vai's 7 string so he could play the Caprices (he later had BC Rich make an extended scale 5 string tuned in fifths. That caught on like testicle waxing). And as mentioned, George Van Eps, Howard Alden, Lenny Breau, Bucky Pizarrelli and others had played 7 strings in a Jazz context years before.

But I think Korn does deserve some credit for trying something new. Limp Biskit were Korn protoges, brought on tour with them, and I think "3 dollar bill$ y'all" was released on Korn's vanity label.

Christ {censored}ing Christ half way down this train wreck to find an answer that has merit................:facepalm:

HC/UG :facepalm:

• Members

Korn didn't get one until 2001, 7 years after their debut.

Doesn't change the fact that more than a few kids tuned into Beavis and Butthead enough to have seen said Morbid Angel video, and the first use of a 7 in a metal video on Mtv.

This is wrong. Rocky George used a white Universe 7-string in the "You Can't Bring Me Down" video from 1990.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I dont see too many jazz or rock guys playing 7's, its mainly nu-metal that got it popular...then the doom, djent and so forth.thats the main buyers of them.

Well, you seem incredibly informed without any alterations to your logic needed, so I'll just be going.

• Members

They could do it like the epi baritone.

if anyone remembers like 6-7 years ago gibson made a 27 inch scale studio.

i wanted one SO bad then. . .

OH and also forgot about this

http://www.robertconti.com/gear.html

The Robert Conti Model 8-String Electric Guitar uses two additional strings in the low-end so that guitarist may play their own bass lines. The two extra strings also enrich the overall sound of the guitar even when the bass strings are not played. The Conti has a contoured maple top over a mahogany body, white binding on the body periphery, headstock and fingerboard and multi-laminated maple neck with ebony fingerboard and abalone block inlay. There is a single Bartolini Humbucker and gold hardware.

• Members

I might be remembering incorrectly here, but I seem to recall an interview with Munky and Head in Guitar World not long after they released their first album, discussing the acquisition of their 7-strings. The story goes that both of theirs had originally belonged to Vai, which he had originally strung with a High A string. He got rid of them, and they picked them up in a pawn shop in Cali, stuck a low string on, and numetaled their way to the bank...

• Members

I might be remembering incorrectly here, but I seem to recall an interview with Munky and Head in Guitar World not long after they released their first album, discussing the acquisition of their 7-strings. The story goes that both of theirs had originally belonged to Vai, which he had originally strung with a High A string. He got rid of them, and they picked them up in a pawn shop in Cali, stuck a low string on, and numetaled their way to the bank...

Vai never used a high A string. The shop that they bought them from might have strung them that way. Nor were theirs vai's actual guitars. They were his sig model universe which was the only production 7 (out of production at the time) available to anyone.

Vai's Passion and Warfare and Whitesnake's Slip of the Tongue both have the UV777 all over them and clearly use the low B.

-W

Archived