The Only Way I Can View Youtube Is...

Johnny-Boy

• Members

by coming here. If I copy everything after the "=" sign and place it between [/youtube} , then I can play it from this site. I had to come here to hear/view my instrumental bed with this ad: http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=P57m0U-4zbo .

Anyway, if someone has an idea of why the youtube site won't work from my computer, I'm all ears. Besides this: "You either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player." - tried it already. Best, John :)

P57m0U-4zbo

• Members

Ah... jingles. :D

I remember you having this problem before...

Can you go to the YT site, Johnny? I mean, do you see the YT pages but the video just doesn't show up or can you not get there at all?

[Pardon us for discussing an off topic topic, but Johnny's an old regular and he's been fighting this problem for a while now. But at least he can see everybody's embedded vids in the all-important Friday Influences thread! ;) ]

• Members

Ah, you remember Blue. Same old problem.

I can go to the site, but the video won't show up, only this message: "Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player."

I've tried shutting off all my security as well (Norton, Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy). Harmony Central is the only website I use that I can view Youtube on.

Best, John :)

• Members

Sorry to go over old ground, but I forget... have you tried different browsers?

Yeah Blue. I should go in the back room and see if I can access it through my new Mac. The only thing is, I'm trying to keep the Mac squeeking clean for my music. Don't want to risk messing it up online.

The odd thing is that I copied and pasted that youtube page in Microsoft Word to show you, and the video showed up on the paste.

Oh well, maybe I'll use this post to access my videos - then I can delete afterwards.

One more question; is there a way to save the youtube videos to a wmv file on my desktop?

• Members

You can't save YT vids directly as far as I knows.

Some videos hosted at Google Videos can be DL'd directly and actually look better (sometimes) once you've DL'd them and are playing them in a player where you can tinker your PB settings. For instance, I DL all the Mystery Science Theater 3000 vids and watch them on my local machine because they (usually) look better. (But sometimes the pic/sound sync goes wack.)

Anyhow, the quality won't necessarily be as good, but you can get a copy of YouTube vids through www.FileHero.com -- you have a number of rendering options for different formats -- including WMV. I've grabbed copies of some vids that look really good on YT, and they look pretty OK when copied and re-rendered. But it's certainly not the same as having a first quality copy. See if you can't put a rider in your contract that you get copies of all final product for your reel. It might be something that's negotiated out more than not, but it's a start.

• Members

Keep in mind that you can only do a few a day without registering, and a few more if you do. If you up for the pay-for version, they let you go to town.

Some sites allow it to do a straight DL or a high quality conversion (within some FileHero set limits)... On YT, however, they seem restricted to making a translated copy.

• Members

I don't know if this applies to you, but I had some similar issues before. It turned out to be related to some extensions I was using in Firefox. If you're using Firefox, try starting it up with an empty profile (on Windows, it's Start->Run: firefox -P).

If you're not using Firefox, I don't think I can help you. Unless you're at work and there is some kind of filtering software installed.

• Members

I don't know if this applies to you, but I had some similar issues before. It turned out to be related to some extensions I was using in Firefox. If you're using Firefox, try starting it up with an empty profile (on Windows, it's Start->Run: firefox -P).

If you're not using Firefox, I don't think I can help you. Unless you're at work and there is some kind of filtering software installed.

No, I don't use firefox Eddie. And I've tried viewing youtube with all my security turned off. Still doesn't work.

Thanks, John :)

• Members

I would
only
download directly from Adobe's site. In the case of Adobe's Flash, there's not really any point in going to a third party site, you're just opening yourself up to potential security threats.

I agree Blue. I'm a little hesitant to use any site other than the Adobe's site, especially this one asks to scan your registry before downloading Flash.

John :)

• Members

hmmmm does it?

normally i would agree with you but i had the same problem and searched many a forum for an answer, that link was given as the fix, i downloaded it and it fixed it for me.... this was a while ago..... i dont remember it asking to scan my registry though - up to you i guess, if you're not sure then dont do i - i dont wanna be responsible for knackering your computer!

x

• Members

Hello again

i just rechecked the link - i see what you mean about scanning registry but if you scroll half way down the page it says "click to download" it takes you to another page and then starts downloading..... up to you though my friend

x

Thanks Stick, I do appreciate it, just not sure at this point if I want to do it; especially since I can come here to view youtube with a "preview" posting.

• Members

Embedding a video here requires the same flash player as playing it in YouTube, so I doubt the problem lies there. More likely it's some kind of issue with connecting to the YouTube site itself.

You've probably tried all these, but here are my suggestions:

- Clear the browser cache

- Clear all cookies

- Make sure JavaScript is enabled

- If you have a cable modem or DSL modem, try unplugging it, then plugging it back in.

- Check for a "hosts" file on your computer, and see if it contains a reference to youtube.com (not very likey)

• Members

Thanks Stick, I do appreciate it, just not sure at this point if I want to do it; especially since I can come here to view youtube with a "preview" posting.

Best, John
:)

This is precisely why I make this warning.

Phony Flash updates are a BIG infection vector.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever anyone should DL something purporting to be a Flash update from anywhere besides Adobe (who purchased Macromedia several years ago, the company that created Flash).

I have, I believe, the latest Flash and I've never seen a registry scan involved in their update patches. (Could be new or it could be protective software on Johnny's system. But it sounds hinky to me.)

With a well-patched OS and browsers, tricking people into installing malware disguised as desirable software, updates, patches, etc, through so-called "social engineering exploits" becomes one of the principal infection vectors -- on both Mac and Windows machines.

For that reason, it's very important to make sure you only get those updates and upgrades from the official site of the software publisher (or sites they have designated and cleared, listed on their site).

Archived