Friday Influences Thread 08.28.09

Stackabones

• Members

What has influenced you in the past ... or since the last FIT?

A friend gave me a mix CD full of various rock and punk rock. It was a killer mix and it reminded me how much I love blaring guitars and thunderstruck drumming.

I'm not sure if Billy Boy On Poison is rock, punk rock or what. To me, they sound like some kind of blues rock for the 21st Century -- they look like something off the cover of a teenage girl mag. :lol: I guess for a certain fan base good looks are as important as good looks.

Oh, well, I really dig the guitar line doubled with the vocal and I'm a big fan of the guitar used as a percussion instrument. The distorted vox sound like he could be singing through a Green Bullet. Though the band is from the San Fernando Valley, I'm not certain that the singer's accent is 100% Californian. ;)

[YOUTUBE]fU2C4wYgDxA[/YOUTUBE]

• Moderators

Yeah! 2 and 3/4 minutes of bratiness. I like it, Stack. Sounds a bit like an early Jagger.

As a young kid, music to me was Porky the Piggy Bank and the red vinyl copy of Happy Birthday. Then I hit a note on my mom's guitar. Whoa.

Now, a kid with a love of guitar (I'm an old dude don't forget) I was learning to play this...

[YOUTUBE]nbGxpUswP9M[/YOUTUBE]

Then I met the new kid down the street. His big brother did drugs. "Hey, you like Hendrix?"

No, not really, it's kinda... noisy? I don't get that song Machine gun. My older sister had some Hendrix. I thought it was scary.

"So you like this folk {censored}? It's for squares and queers, man."

Well I wasn't gay was I. No. But maybe I was square. He lent me the live Grand Funk record. I guess maybe he thought there was a sliver of hope for me. Noisy again, but wait, what's this song?

[YOUTUBE]V5dF0I0yHNc[/YOUTUBE]

I liked that. Even the noisy bit in the middle. I like that. What's with those piano chords and that melody? I like that.

I like that. Noisy. Yeah...

Then he said, "Now try this Alice Cooper record."

[YOUTUBE]qga5eONXU_4[/YOUTUBE]

{censored} yeah. I mean... that's boss.

Thus began a steady decline and simultaneous ascension.

• Members

I normally have a lot of sales resistance to the faces pasted on the front of the Rhapsody player's home page, but for some reason (The glasses maybe? The mention of ukelele? But I may be moving toward a uke backlash, sadly... why are people such slaves to fads?), I gave in and listened to some Ingrid Michaelson. I'd heard one or two things before but I think I heard the wrong ones (for me), as I recall some annoying vocal retuning on one track. And there is just a little clumsy retuning going on every once in a great while on a few of her tracks I've heard, but overall, it sounds pretty natural. Certainly, she seems quite capable of singing, however quirkily. And, overall, I was mostly quite charmed.

Looking for a good vid, I'm afraid I ran into at least one nastily retuned track by her that was, to me, unlistenable, ("Maybe" -- the retuning is just gawdawful -- but then the song is big and bland, instantly dismissable cookie cutter pop, so no real loss) -- and, unfortunately this one has a few places on her voice -- and the guy who comes in on second vocal, her producer, Dan Romer, I guess, is really clumsily retuned, but the song itself is a real charmer. It's the kind of thing I'd almost wish would be redone later without the sloppy robo-tuning, and, you never know, maybe Romer will wake up one day and say, Gee, WTF was I thinking? and actually put some attention into properly retuning his vocal and taking the couple of overly noticeable glitches out of hers. Hell, if they pulled most of those horrible syn drum pad thingies out of the late 70s/early 80s disco mixes, they can do anything. ;)

OvMVCHhwTPs

Michaelson seems a smart businesswoman (or maybe they've just tinkered her image to appeal to girls looking for a smart, tough, but vulnerable hero?) -- but she seriously needs to hire a producer who knows how to vocal edit or how to hire someone who does. 'Cause the edits on these vocals are a massive fail.

Another artist -- well, band -- I'd come across a while back but then lost in the shuffle is the slightly more downtronica-flavored Bats for Lashes. They don't fall too far from that tree but they manage to avoid many of the hoariest downtempo/trip hop cliches that make that once enticing genre such a drag, overall, at the end of this decade.

This may be my favorite music vid in a while. I like the song (a slightly trippy paean to 60's folk rock and girl pop) pretty well, too, but the vid slays me:

EICkZWEzFGE

I actually mixed up two Michaelson and two Bats for Lashes albums in a playlist, and it was a nice afternoon of music. Some of their video hits are a bit on the bland/formulaic side... maybe I just wasn't paying attention but I think I only hit the skip button once, heady praise for a set of music from me. (That said, I'm strill trying to shake ths sound of Michaelson's awful "Maybe" out of my head.)

• Members

All cool entries so far, as usual. The only one I've never heard of is Bats for Lashes but it sounds interesting enough to give a whirl.

Ealry this week, I was feeling somewhat in a rut so I decided to learn a non-guitarish song on guitar. I opted for Benny and the Jets and I'm not sure why. It took a while but is well worth it. I think it makes a neat acoustic kind of cover. The Gmaj7 to Fmaj7 is really fun to noodle with.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Well, I enjoyed that... but I'd call it 60s-style garage rock (and that's reflected in their very much 60s attire and haircuts) or trash pop.

Now... this is punk rock, I should say:

NFxRvzpDWTY

Darby... pick up the mic.

Darby actually on his feet for a while...

bzm2cNQQ6mE

• Members

OK... I got another one... every time it comes up someplace, it knocks me out all over again. The 'vid' isn't a real vid but you can still hear a sharp little slice of relationship reality -- archly observed with bemused detachment -- Brooklyn Funk Essentials, "Date with Baby" (warning, not office safe, much use of the sh word and maybe a couple of others):

MxVCzg5G0jo

• Members

Sad Navigator got me listening to some of my 90's alterna-rock again. Had this on in the car tonight - took me back to my "Bright Lights Big City" salad days, preparing to go out and get some breakfast after an all-night coke binge:

"You look like {censored}"

"Hey, I live for that look"

37DmMTTD35s

• Members

:lol:

I read Jay McInerney's story collection "How It Ended" while I was on vacation. Surprisingly good - I haven't followed his career very much, but he really has turned into a solid writer. Many of the stories are strongly influenced by Fitzgerald and/or Faulkner, but there are certainly worse models to choose.

• Members

Lately, I've been listening to lots of variety and they are currently making me a bit crazy because of the fusion I have.

Here are my current influences:

* Connie Hanes (Big Band)

* Metallica

* The Lonely Island (Adam Samberg)

* Deathklok (from Metalocalypse)

* Bing Crosby

* Lots and lots of Classical Guitar Music

These are the influences. Try placing them in random selection in your MP3 :)

• Members

Lately, I've been listening to lots of variety and they are currently making me a bit crazy because of the fusion I have.

Here are my current influences:

* Connie Hanes (Big Band)

* Metallica

* The Lonely Island (Adam Samberg)

* Deathklok (from Metalocalypse)

* Bing Crosby

* Lots and lots of Classical Guitar Music

These are the influences. Try placing them in random selection in your MP3
:)

Now that is one set of eclectic influences. :D

You could probably power a small city for a month off a difference engine fueled by Deathklok and Bing Crosby.

• Members

Wow! I saw Stanley Kubrick's "Lolita" last night on TCM.

(I'll miss TCM so much when I'm back across the pond.)

Ecstasy! That's what I feel when I hear this song.

The endorphins just start sloshing around my brain.

N_VIQ0B0MFY

I will re-create this arrangement when I get back.

(I'm bringing back a K-1 module for the string sounds.)

I may even steal some ideas from the contrapuntal things

that are going on in the background.)

The ecstatic part of music is in the background.

It's not what you hear, it's what you imagine is also there.

It's what you imagine should be there - but is missing.

That's what I think. And that's why this piece of music sends me into ecstasy.

• Moderators

San Diego in more like 50 years behind. We like that... :) As you guys disintegrate into a pool of chemical goo due to pollutants and a general feeling of "is that all there is" while talking on your latest G3 device and cutting off the slower, politer driver so you might get to your appointment on time...

We're smiling, leaning back with our toes in the sand and listening to some cool music. Care for a dip? Water's clean. :):poke::)

The price of cutting edge. Your face will melt before mine.

So I played Schools Out for my daughter. She goes back tomorrow, Tuesday. She ran cross the room, jumped and landed on me and started pounding my head while saying, "Dad! You are a turd!!!!"

:):):)

We, behind-the-times San Diegans can be bastards to our kidsl. School's Out for Summer!!! :)

Archived