clip: trying to strip away the B.S. and get right to the meaning...

danbronson

• Members

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1395881/too%20much.mp3

my songs are too contrived. they tend to overwhelm themselves and obscure the point.

i just downloaded daniel johnston's album 'hi, how are you?' and i was struck by the carefree simplicity of it all. i realized i've been going about songwriting the wrong way and need to focus on communicating a feeling.

this is my attempt to do that. does it work?

• Members

OK........so......

You nailed it!

Just went through the same thing myself.

This is a great little tune. The 'extracurricular' stuff at the beginning is a real keeper. The simplicity of the instrumentation is perfect....as it builds you can feel the song getting bigger, even as it holds to its simplicity.

Because of that instrumental prudence the stage is given over to the lyrics and their delivery.

Of course there will be the temptation to make this a big song with building instruments and such.....and I wouldn't mind hearing it that way. Sure is nice just as it is, though.

Yeah......you nailed it.

• Members

I really like the confessional tone in this... the hound barking in the distance is nice. (If you added it, just don't tell me, OK? I want the illusion.)

I'm not one to give extended feedback on lyrics unless I can read them (too hard to make out sometimes, too easy to get wrong sometimes even when you think you did hear it), but the feel and tone of this is nice. The acoustic guitar motif is classic/primal/simple enough that its association with other songs (one of the Ziggy era Bowie songs, for instance, right on the tip of my tongue) is not, I don't think, a problem. I really like the great restraint your arrangement displays and the singing is a perfect match. This is really a case of less is more. I like it very much just as it is. (OK... I was undecided on the throat clearing on the right, mid-way through. But I bought into the song enough so that if the artist decides he wants it in there, I'm willing to trust his judgment.)

A real charmer!

:)

• Members

Thanks for listening guys. It's nice to know that I can strip away some layers and perhaps be doing something right.

The dog barking, the throat clearing, all that 'extra stuff' that has nothing to do with the music really is all stuff that got on the track by pure happenstance (I'm recording in a basement, there are dogs and other people in the house). Because of the way I was writing and recording this, I refused to clean it up or do another take. What you hear is one main track and four overdubs panned around it, recorded quickly and as I was writing. There is a tiny amount of very unrealistic reverb on the main track to give it a slightly ambient/ethereal sound (hopefully it's not noticeable unless you listen for it), then typical mastering highpass/compression/limiting to get the song up to commercial loudness. Nothing more, I had to try to do only what was necessary for this one.

• Members

I'm crazy about this. Everything about it -- the song, the approach, the vibe. Sounds like the lyrics are exactly right -- almost a manifesto. Post them if you get a chance.

I love how you're letting your studio still be your home. You're not insulating the outside world from the track. I've done recordings in a room in my house where trucks/loud cars go by and, I gotta say, it adds something you just can't get in a high-dollar hermetically sealed studio. You've captured a bit of wabi-sabi (see sig).

This is really killer. I've already listened to it three times and I'm gonna spin it some more. I'm a fan.

This is like hearing a recording of an epiphany as it happens.

• Members

This is awesome. I love the dog barking at the beginning; this happens to me all the time when my animals feel like letting me know that they exist while I record.

Very simple and sweet. I really like the part where your vocals drop out and the two guitar lines play over each other. I don't think you need to add anything to this, it sounds like a finished product already.

Keep up the good work.

• Members

Me likey. When the song began I'm thinking whose dog is that barking? Is that my neighbor or is that in the song. Once I realized it was part of the song I thought, "that's kinda cool!" It inspired me to try recording outside somewhere and picking up people's conversations as they're passing by or car doors slamming, cell phones ringing, etc.. When I listened the second time, before your line, "there's too many distractions in my head", you clear your throat. Which was kind of distracting but then came the line and I thought that was quite apropos. Dug the guitar, dug the vocals and dug the lyrics. Good job dude!

Cheers,

Deric

Archived