Songwriting - Singing and playing at the same time

ido1957

• Members

I write all my songs with the intent of singing and playing guitar at the same time. Of course my recordings may have an extra guitar in them but I still find I can get a reasonable facsimile when I play them live. I think the "solos" are a little "empty" without the extra guitar.

Do you write with that same thought in mind or do you write songs that are meant for individual singers and maybe more complicated guitar / piano lines. The latter lends itself to IMO, a bit more complexity and maybe more interest from the audience.

Comments?

• Members

In general, I perform solo git/vox shows ... so I tend to write songs that work in that context. A quick arrangement and capable musicians would allow for them to be played in a small combo.

I've written for other singers, and it can change the way I think about accompaniment and lyrical content.

• Members

I write/arrange for a largish band (drums, percussion, bass, guitar, keys, vocals). Writing lyrics which allow space for instrumental fills and playing instrumental leads which don't stomp on the vocals is something I spend a lot of time thinking about, but I'm in the studio tracking each part separately.

• Members

My arrangements change every time I play or record one of my songs. It's safe to say I seldom play the same song the same way twice.

When performing live, I almost never play more than a few notes without 'support' from, at the very least a pedal tone (a sustained note from one of the bass strings). Sometimes I'll play a single or double stop melody to intro a song but most listeners need context to appreciate/understand a melodic run, so if I can't keep the context up, I'll skip the lead. For that reason I've gravitated in recent years to fingerpicking, where it's easier to keep multiple parts going coherently.

• Members

my arrangements tend toward straightfoward, droning chords. at first that was just because i didn't know how to do anything complex or interesting, now, now it's just sortof a style. though i still can't pick at all. but i've got to be able to sing it and keep it simple, i don't write anything i can't play around a campfire.

i probably should give more consideration to my bandmates in this regard, give them more sonic breathing room, but i figure they force themselves in just fine for the most part.

Archived