Eminence Wizards/Governors

Shenaniganizer

• Members

I just bought a Wizard and I hate it. :mad:

They're very very harsh...all upper midrange and treble. No Low end beef at all! This is by far the worst speaker I've ever had...even worse than V-30's, and I despise V-30's!! :mad:

but At least V-30's have some ass end on it.

That being said...Eminence Legends are the best speakers I've ever played! Very well balanced! :thu:

I tried it in a 2x12, and in a 1x12...in the 1x12 it sounded like a pile of shit, so I thought it would sound better paired with another speaker in the 2x12...boy was I wrong! It still sounds like shit!

I replaced the Wizard with a Legend and all is right in the world again.

• Members

I know nothing about breaking in speakers, but, if it's brand new, I don't think any speakers sound amazing without being broken in at that stage, right? :idk:

btw, I'm going to PM you sometime and attempt to discuss with you about that Krank Rev Jr. Pro 50. :cop: I'm interested in those heads, and would like to know more about it.

ANYWAY, anyone else had any experience with either of these speakers?

• Members

I just bought a Wizard and I hate it.
:mad:

They're very very harsh...all upper midrange and treble. No Low end beef at all! This is by far the worst speaker I've ever had...even worse than V-30's, and I despise V-30's!!
:mad:
but At least V-30's have some ass end on it.

That being said...Eminence Legends are the best speakers I've ever played! Very well balanced!
:thu:

I tried it in a 2x12, and in a 1x12...in the 1x12 it sounded like a pile of shit, so I thought it would sound better paired with another speaker in the 2x12...boy was I wrong! It still sounds like shit!

I replaced the Wizard with a Legend and all is right in the world again.

This guy is high. The wizards are like a Celestion Anniversary, lots of extended treble with solid lows, if anything they lack a touch of midrange. Put a Governor with a Wizard and you will have the Eminence equivelent of the Vintage 30 and Anniversary.

Eminence has a website full of comparisons, go there and decide for yourself.

The Wizards are bright and they are also very efficient 103db per watt. Another way to go is two Governors, this sounds nice...

• Members

This guy is high. The wizards are like a Celestion Anniversary, lots of extended treble with solid lows, if anything they lack a touch of midrange. Put a Governor with a Wizard and you will have the Eminence equivelent of the Vintage 30 and Anniversary.

Eminence has a website full of comparisons, go there and decide for yourself.

The Wizards are bright and they are also very efficient 103db per watt. Another way to go is two Governors, this sounds nice...

+1 ... there is plenty of low end on wizards, they have to be used in a proper sealed cab to sound good too. The ones I tired sounded {censored}ing awesome with a 5150 in a basson cab..

-D

• Members

Well, the forumite I may buy these from will only sell them in pairs (two Wizards, two Governors), and I may only end up with a 2x12 for now, so I have to decide which of the two the better option will be.

How 'long' does breaking in take?

I will check out Eminence's site soon, I was just seeing if anyone's had any experience with these particular speakers, to get more of a personal point of view.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I think the Wizards may work out for me. I'm just looking for any experience from you guys.

I've watched youtube vids of a guy playing with two Wizards in a 2x12 - played some blues/jazzy stuff, and some driven stuff, but nothing metal-like. Then I watched other clips of a guy playing some high-gain with the Wizards in a Bogner 2x12 -didn't sound too bad!

• 10 years later...
  • Members

I'm a drummer, but,have  a studio and collect Vintage Tube amps. Came upon a Laney TT20 with a Wizard Red Coat for $220.00 Needless to say it's a stellar amp. I use it on all my Personal recordings and I have 26+ amps to choose from, just Someone playing a Les Paul straight into the amp, miced with a Sennheiser 609 up close and a MD421 in the room. Another Sleeper Amp is the (Don't Laugh) Crate GT 50 Stealth- All USA made 4 6V6s, 3 12ax7s and 3 possible channel combos. If you're a Metal or Marshall guy, check one of these out, BUT, be sure to 86 the JIVE ASS tubes that CRATE supplied. I only use Eastern European Tubes, because they NEVER stopped using Tube Technology, never have QC problems. Just MY 2 cents, Later.

Archived