'Sleepless Nights' return of the banjo?

grantsabbath

• Members

Hey guys,

This is a new one I recorded this morning. Lots of banjo, pretty raw. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.myspace.com/grantkingstonmusic

sleepless nights

sleepless nights under hot city lights

stained glass marquee is gonna bury me

under the ground

down, down down

under the ground

you're not always the first thing that's on my mind

but the highway reminds me of you

if i chase the night and you feel left behind

you gotta find a way to get through, through, through

• Members

I like it. You have a terrific singing voice but I can't hear it clearly in the mix, I would consider making the rhythm guitar softer. I dig the banjo, it might not be the right instrument for the opening melody (I'd use an electric guitar), but it works well throughout the rest of the track. I couldn't make out the lyrics but I do love the timbre of your voice.

:thu:

• Members

this song didn't grab me when it first came on, but at the first "down down down" i was hooked, it really hit a good stride there.

so from there i wrote the rest of this, played my hand of Risk online, and let your page play, then i went back to Sleepless Nights, i actually really like it, just took me a listen to get into the mojo of it, i love the vocal harmonies, is there an electric guitar in there playing the melody?

where did lump sum come from? i don't think i'd heard it, it's a little mellow for my personal taste, but i think that's commercially viable with the right quiet backing band.

that's actually a reasonable question: you've got a great sound going, what's your plan? are you looking to hook in with a band or at least a banjo player to gig? do you play locally solo? or are you like one of my cohorts and prefer working in your bedroom with the computer so you can get the songs perfect?

• Members

AcousticDave: Thanks for listening! I know what you mean about the melody at the beginning. I think it was an experiment really. I just love playing that dang banjo. As far as the voice in the mix, I really haven't mastered that. Still a bedroom recorder. Any tips are very welcome!

Easilyspooked: I'm playing my strat really low in the background in a few places so you're write about that! Lump Sum is a cover of a Bon Iver song, I put it up a couple days back, I'm glad you enjoy it!

As far as my plan? I do a {censored} load of solo gigs right now, getting my performance chops up to scratch. Usually about 6-8 gigs a month in the local singer/songwriter circuit. Currently putting together a full band (two guitar, bass, drums, guitarist or me will be switching the banjo in sometimes) that will hopefully be off the ground in the next couple weeks. Then we're gonna hit the ground running. Get a proper record made and hit the road in early May.

Thanks a million for listening.

• Members

ah see that's me being a bad music fan for not knowing who Bon Iver was, i had assumed it was French for Lump Sum, but then you're in Newfoundland and don't speak French?

go man go, sounds like a good plan! i can't believe you can rock so many shows a month in your area, you'll have to post here if you hit stateside, not that i haven't driven to canada for shows before, good chance to hang out with the wife in the car. we love the Montreal music scene.

• Members

A lot/most of the people here can't access MySpace, as it's blocked by most work filters. You might get more responses with a different host.

I'll second the fact that the banjo doesn't really work in the intro. I can't put my finger on it, but there's some rhythmic disagreement between the banjo and the guitar. I'd say the acoustic guitar is a bit too frenetic throughout--it's busy enough to be a distraction.

The dual vocals, on the other hand, are absolutely killer. I like, too, that you can make a full song out of such a scant lyric.

Archived