EVM 12L vs classic...difference?

• Members

what's the difference between the old production 12L like from the 80's and what not vs the current production classic models?

anything?

I've got an empty avatar vintage series 1X12 on the way and I need a single speaker capable of handling 4 6550's worth of power.

• Members

welp

i've had a brand new classic, an old 12L, a brand new reconed old 12L, and the first classic after it blew and was reconed under warranty. They are basically identical.

I had both speakers reconed at Dixie Speakers and Dennis has owned the place for a loong time and does great work. He told me the Classic has the same voice coil, and just a slightly different cone, than the originals. But to me, they sounded the same when new.

• Members

How did the classic blow if you dont' mind me asking? I think everyone is under the impression that these are more or less indestructable and capable of handling anything you can possibly throw at them but I've heard that the ACTUAL RMS power delivery of these things is only around 80 or so watts.

Like... they're really inefficient but built in a way to handle a LOT of peak wattage. This coming from someone I've spoken with in depth regarding various speakers who says he's reconed more 12L's than he can count.

He says he hates them but IMO, it's really one of the FEW choices I have in a 1X12 full tilt volume scenario with the nitro.

• Members

It was a bunk speaker from the factory. I actually was able to tell a difference between brand new speaker out of box and brand new reconed speaker. I realized it was probably something in the boxed speaker rubbing, does this make sense?

When I brought the Classic in to the repair shop, his response after he looked at it was "Well, I don't see any burn marks, so you didn't run it too hard, but there's definitely some rubbing going on." Neither EV nor Dixie Speaker gave me any guff about reconing it either, so I rocked on a happy man.

The day it actually happened I was playing a buddy's Mark IIC+ Coliseum. :D However we did not have the amp up that loud (he has a 12L thiele just like mine, and he's played it louder than we did that day with no issues).

I have since hit the reissue with more oomph than before with no problems.

• Members

Like... they're really inefficient but built in a way to
handle
a LOT of peak wattage. This coming from someone I've spoken with in depth regarding various speakers who says he's reconed more 12L's than he can count.

12Ls are just as efficient as V30s. I believe that they both rate at 100db @ 1w/m

I do agree about the re-cone thing - I've heard of a fair amount of 12Ls being reconed, but I'd bet that it has more to do with their "indestructible" image. It's not too much of a stretch for me to imagine someone thinking that you can't hurt a 12L and then running it 600w RMS through it.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

12Ls are just as efficient as V30s. I believe that they both rate at 100db @ 1w/m.

Efficiency is one thing, power compression is another. The V30 will collapse before the 12L is breathing hard...bigger voice coil, bigger motor.

The V30 can't ever keep up with an EVM12L. For guitar, the only speaker that can keep up with a 12L is a JBL K/E-120 or a D120F reconed with an E120 kit.

• Members

Everything I have read says that they sound identical. FWIW I have an old EVM12L in a Thiele cab and it sounds huge! IMHO they are the pinnacle of clean speakers.

EDIT: DOH, didn't notice the thread resurrection.