How Long Does It Usually Take You To Write A Song?

silverjess

• Members

Hey it really depends on how into the moment I am. I've definitely written songs in about 30 minutes. Some take a week and some I started and finished a year later.

My songs are really emotionally tied, so if I'm totally taken over by that moment it comes out pretty easy.

• Members

I take forever. I usually write 2 or 3 melodies that go together in a sitting or two, then agonize over the words. Forever. Seriously--for eons. If songwriting were just about creating pleasing melodies, I would have finished a dozen songs in October.

• Members

time is an illusion.

the only illusion.

we move, my brothers, we move.

i will add my voice to the chorus of: if i'm in the groove, an hour. if i'm working from a riff, then writing a verse, then writing a chorus, well i'm on the 3rd week of the song i'm currently writing, though hopefully i finished it last night, but one never knows.

• Members

It really depends. I can write a complete song myself in an hour if the inspiration is right. But getting the music to sync right with the band can be a tedious process. It's taken us ten months to complete 4 solid songs. But, we don't even practice that much with grad school and all.

• Members

Lyrics and music tend to come together in about an hour. But I can get hung up refining and rewriting lyrics for a couple weeks.

But the best songs shouldn't take take long to write. I also find that Laboring over something for a long time rarely makes it better.

• Members

I come by lyrics much slower than the music or melody. Typically I'm sitting on a bunch of pieces of music. Once an inspired lyric comes along the rest comes together in under an hour.

The first example of a song that comes to mind is one I set out to write about my daughter when she was a baby. There is a ton of material out there on the subject and I had trouble at first because I didnt want it to be too much of a cliche. I was stuck until I came up with one phrase, 7lbs of cool. I used this as an opening for the song and the rest of it flowed out in about 15 minutes. This is typically how I operate.

• Members

I've writen songs is less than an hour. Although in the majority of cases, I then do re-writes over the next 7-10 days trying to improve lines, etc.

Although a couple of what I think are my best songs were songs that came quickly and required very little tweeking.....when the muse truly hits I find everything flows. But when I have to depend on my actual craft....that in when the process takes plenty of tweeking.

• Members

most times i can write a verse/chorus combination in a few days, sometimes faster ... as the "song" develops, the bridge or some other transition will usually become apparent. at that point, i consider the song "written," and it usually takes less than a week.

then, i can mess with it for weeks or even months, trying to finish the words for all sections, sometimes changing the structure around, etc.

but it varies

for example, "Fine" took one night to write, as is. "Supernova" took five months to its final shape.

• Members

lyrically:

they're either mostly formed before i start, in which case it takes 10-20 minutes or so... or i have an idea or some lines in my head that i flesh out into a song, which can take an hour and can be exhausting... or i have no ideas and just write, which can be the fastest method for me.

if i don't finish a song in one sitting, it probably won't get finished, because i've lost the headspace and rhythm and feel of it, but i often use lines in unfinished songs in new songs.

musically:

i just sit down with a guitar and make something up. 1 or 2 minutes and then repeat it a couple times to fit everything together. 5 if i'm struggling or i'm doing something unusual and i have to learn a part.

i try to avoid too much cliche, and have avoided a 1645 chord progression so far, but i have to consciously make myself do something unnatural sounding.

sometimes a song will just pop out fully formed while i'm playing around, but that's rare. instrumental "songs" are a near daily occurance, but lyrics and music in a coherent whole rarely happen. i can improvise a blues with varying degrees of success. other song structures are tougher.

after i finish, i may edit a song, especially the rhythms or keys. lyrically, if i edit a song, later i often find i like the original version better. it's about 50/50 on that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I usually come up with the basic structure and melody of the songs I write while jamming something random. It takes a few days to finalize, but the rough version I usually have written down in ~30 min. Of course I revise it until I'm satisfied, so overall a few days total.

Archived